Re: RE: [xmca] new national curriculum in Australia

Hi all,
My offline comment to Andy about grammar referred to the fact that I did
not learn any formal grammar at school and yet people regularly
compliment me on my writing skills. I have obviously picked up the
important points without knowing how or why. A problem only arises if
someone starts using grammatical terminology (such as the references in
the new curriculum to adverbials, connectives and determiners for
starters). I don't share the formal language to be able to discuss
language on this meta-level even though I am apparently able to use it
in an everyday way. Mind you, I am feeling very paranoid writing this
that I'm probably making heaps of grammatical errors!!

Likewise, when I discovered CHAT I suddenly had this whole new language
for being able to discuss and analyse what I had previously only
observed and intuited as a teacher and parent. So yes, I suppose we are
talking about scientific concepts. The question is at what point should
the scientific concepts be introduced? My worry is that subjecting
children to formal grammar lessons too early deprives them of the
opportunity and freedom to learn the great pleasure of writing without
worrying that they are doing it all wrong. You have no idea how many
times I have nearly erased this entire message now that I am so
conscious about writing it right! But at some point, the right amount of
formal knowledge does allow us to take our everyday knowledge to a new
level, to be able to discuss, debate, analyse, improve and share our
understanding. To ignore teaching these concepts deprives our students
of the opportunities to move to this higher level of understanding, yet
to teach them t
oo soon and out of context makes them meaningless and irrelevant and
will put students off choosing to engage with these forms of knowledge
anyway.

I sure don't know the answer to this grammar conundrum, but I know there
is a whole generation of teachers here in Australia who will soon be
hitting the grammar textbooks in an effort to stay one step ahead of
what they are supposed to be teaching. Maybe this will be a good thing
for the teachers to learn, but I can't see it improving my Grade 2 son's
willingness to get to school on a Monday morning and complete the
dreaded "On the weekend..." diary writing exercise! Or maybe even boring
old diary writing will get the chop in order to make room for the
grammar lessons. Something's got to give somewhere to make time for it,
and my real concern is that it will be the last remaining vestiges of
creativity that will disappear as teachers try to cover everything
required.

Cheers,
Helen