RE: [xmca] conservation

> I can't convince myself that this is entirely a linguistic phenomenon

"Fair" and "not fair," as with "more," "less," and "same," are bound
into a variety of broad cultural practices that could be seen as
absorbing children's responses in these experiments (as in Piaget's
original studies). Gelman (1980) employed the terms "winners" and
"losers" that hearken to cultural practices around games wherein
definitions always are local. Thus in the context of local "game"
practices adopted in her experiments she was able to get results that
contradicted the conservation studies.

David

Gelman, R. (1980). What young children know about numbers. Educational
Psychologist, 15(1), 54-68.