Re: [xmca] Teach for America

I'll just add that TFA reflects an image that's rather common in America of what teachers are, and what they do.

Another reflection is provided by Laura Bush in her speech to the Republican National Convention in 2000:

"George's opponent [Al Gore] has been visiting schools lately and sometimes when he does he spends the night before at the home of a teacher.

"Well, George spends every night with a teacher.

"... I first decided to become a teacher when I was in the second grade. ...

"Growing up, I practiced teaching on my dolls. I'd line them up in rows for the day's lessons. Years later our daughters did the same thing. We used to joke that the Bush family had the best-educated dolls in America."