[xmca] those pesky emotions, are they adjectives? - was ZPD in a new light

I wonder if I might throw in my own two pennyworth on thequestion of sharing emotions and indeed on emotions (or ‘the emotional’)
generally.

There’s seemingly a strong tendency to think aboutemotions as if they can discussed separately from other aspects of
action,activity, sociality, etc. Associated with this is a further tendency, which isonly to notice ‘emotions’ (or ‘the
emotional’) when it *changes* from one stateto another. We tend to think of ‘emotions’ as if they are, as it were,
‘things’(with, in grammatical terms, ‘noun status’) and to think of them, moreover, asif they only happen *sometimes*.

If I understand his approach correctly, this was notVygotsky’s view. He focused on ‘inter-functional relations’, in which each
aspectof consciousness was seen as inter-dependent with the others – whether it becognition, emotion, memory, attention, etc. His
position would lead him toagree with Theodor Sarbin (1986) in his opposition to a ‘faculty psychology’, inwhich different aspects
of consciousness and action are treated apart from eachother.

What we shouldn’t think is that there are ‘emotional’ and‘non-emotional’ forms of action, including speech. For ‘calm’ action or
speech isas much emotional as that which is fearful or angry or distressed. All of humanexperience has an ‘emotional’ quality,
just as (Vološinov) every word is spokenwith an ‘evaluative accent’.

I wonder about the translation of that Russian term – perezhivanie– which was apparently the focus of the later Vygotsky’s
attention, and which seems to be translated as ‘emotionalexperience’ (for example in the essay ‘The problem of the environment’ in
vander Veer & Valsiner 1994). I don’t know Russian, but why is the word ‘emotional’put before ‘experience’ here? If we just
translated Vygotsky’s word as ‘experience’would it make any difference – provided that we remembered that there is noexperience
which doesn’t have its ‘emotional accent’?

There are, to besure, *some* experiences which have the quality of  ‘dramatic collision’, as Nikolai Veresov veryinterestingly
suggests Vygotsky has in mind when discussing what sets people offinto potentially ‘changing their minds’ about something. They
certainly have an‘emotional’ quality, but so too do ‘undramatic’ experiences: e.g. the bus iscoming, I put out my hand, it stops,
I get on, I pay my fare, I take a seat - ateach step, there are tiny quivers we hardly notice in all the ‘normality’, andthere is
little ‘development’ here. Just microscopic active testings of the world,which on this occasion turns out to meet our learned
expectations, butnonetheless involve our active pursuit of our goals and motives.

Suppose wetreated ‘the emotional’ as an inherent quality of all human action, and ingrammatical terms only used the emotional
*adjectivally or adverbially*, todescribe one of its qualities…. Would we lose anything? (Or perhaps we wouldn’tgain anything
either?)

The advantage ofthus insisting on the ‘grammatical’ status of the emotional might be that it wouldtake away the temptation, found
in some accounts of the emotional, to try toform *lists* of emotions, or to try to explain complex human activities interms of the
interplay of a few ‘emotions’.

I write this asone whose main interests lie not in the study of schooling or workplacerelations, but rather in ‘social movements’.
In this field, to which I alwaysfeel that CHAT could contribute quite a lot if there were more possibleintersections, the
temptation I described in the previous paragraph is aliveand all too well. ‘Shame,’ Fear’, Anger’ and a few more ‘powerful
emotions’ areoften allotted powerful degrees of causal influence. Their ‘noun status’ isvery strong here, along with a very
mono-causal style of analysis.

If we stuck totreating the emotional as adjectival or adverbial, we could include a widerrange of emotional expression in the way
we talk about human interaction thanwe probably could if we insisted that emotions are ‘nouns’. Consider thefollowing sentence:
‘He raised his eyebrows suggestively; she smiled backarchly.’ There are emotional qualities being described in these non-verbal
‘utterances’,but would our understanding be enriched if we tried to define emotions called ‘suggestiveness’or ‘archness’?

I don’t evenknow if any of this will make sense to any of you xmca-ers, or even if anyonewill think there is anything worth
further consideration, but I’ll be interestedto read any responses.

I have tried tospell out the ideas here slightly more extensively in a couple of papersdiscussing the emotional quality of some
developments within the Polish ‘Solidarity’movement in1980 and 1981 (along with much else about that movement, whose
30thanniversary occurs this summer). One of these appeared in 2001, in a bookcalled Passionate Politics, and the other is due to
appear in 2010 in aweb-based journal called Interface. They can be accessed at http://sites.google.com/site/colinbarkersite/along
with several efforts at exploring CHAT and social movements.

Colin Barker

*

Hi Mike
I also am unsure about the genesis of the sharing of emotion as the CORE of theemotional bond.  However Fonagy's  account (and the
tradition heworks within) does gesture or point in the direction of shared emotion ascentral to human sociality.  If sociality is
central to the developmentalprocess (in both its vertical and horizontal dimensions) as seems likely inmany different accounts
elaborated on CHAT then processes which are central tosociality become central issues to elaborate.
Theory of Mind has elaborated the centrality of intentionality to ourunderstanding sociality.  Sociocultural theory has elaborated
thecentrality of triadic communication (including objects and artifacts) tosociality.  The linguistic turn, dialogical theory,
semiotics, havedocumented the centrality of  language, speech acts, and narrative(Bruner) to the creation of sociality.
All these Discourses are pointing in the direction of communication andlanguage as central to sociality.
The metaphors of "places" locations" "spaces"" Zo-ped's" "contexts" speaks to our being SITUATED ascentral to sociality.
History and the temporal dimension of sociality is also a central analytic unitof sociality.
However, how we account for emotions within sociality seems to vary acrossthese other accounts of sociality.  Often emotions are
seen as a"by-product" of these other processes and accounts of sociality.Therefore, I believe the place of emotion in our accounts
is often on theperiphery of our perspectives rather than having a central place in sociality.Fonagy and others who are exploring
the genesis of  the sharing of emotionare bringing emotions onto center stage of the human sciences. I believe sincewe experience
emotions as intrapsychic phenomena they are often viewed asvalidating an encapsulated view of the person when a social account of
theperson is being elaborated that puts sociality at the center of our accounts.
If scholars such as Fonagy, Stern, Scheff, etc. are successful in re-directingour gaze towards emotion as a central to our
accounts of sociality then theyhave contributed to the ongoing fallible accounts in the community ofinquirers.
My reading of the Zo-ped in the posted article was influenced by the emotionalclimate when the children shifted from a magisterial
to a socratic style ofdialogue.  The transformation in their communication experience was also atransformation in their emotions
and in the transformation of the Zo-ped.
Larry

> I have been reading moll/tomasello et al, Larry, and will check the
> Fonagy/Sharp ref. Thanks. But I am
> still uncertain about the genesis of the sharing of emotion, the
> core of the
> emotional bond that appears by
> this account to be central to hu> central, so
> will keep at it.
> mike
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Larry Purss  wrote:
>
> > Hi Ana
> > I wanted to thank you for sharing your thoughts on the Zo-ped
> and its
> > possible elaboration in the Ferholt and Lecusay article. I
> also sense that
> > the zo-ped as a metaphor of a "zone" or "space"can be
> elaborated to capture
> > the transformations in interpersonal and epistemological
> issues built
> > jointly in practices.  The article elaborates the zone as
> a "location" in
> > which all the participants "cross borders" and ALL
> participants are
> > transformed from the joint activity.  The article also
> speaks to
> > communicative activity as having the potential to be
> SYMMETRICAL or
> > ASYMMETRICAL and that the quality of communication is
> different depending on
> > the symmetrical or asymmetrical quality of "recognition"
> (power).  And
> > finally the article elaborates the centrality of emotion (e-
> MOTION) within
> > the Zo-ped. These 3 variables do point to the need to deepen
> the analysis of
> > this "zone" as functioning at an ontological level oftheory
> elaboration.> It is for this reason I want to bring in other
> Discourses which are looking
> > at the notion of "shared space" as foundational to our
> exploration of our
> > being human.
> > Peter Fonagy and Carla Sharp In the Journal "Social
> Development, (17, 3,
> > 2008) are also discussing the centrality of shared space in their
> > developmental model. Sharp and Fonagy in this article are
> reviewing various
> > notions of the construct of the "meeting of minds"Following
> is a review of
> > their perspective.
> > They review Tomasello, Carpenter, Call, Behne, and Moll's
> position on the
> > meeting of minds as SHARED or WE intentionality. Tomasello et
> al suggest
> > that only humans are biologically adapted for participating in
> collaborative> activities and shared goals (joint
> intentions)  However, in addition to the
> > capacity to UNDERSTAND goals, intentions, and perceptions (the
> theory of
> > mind construct) a "meeting of minds" adds the MOTIVATION to
> SHARE these ToM
> > understandings in INTERACTION WITH OTHERS. Tomasello
> emphasizes that at the
> [...]

Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester
Metropolitan University's email disclaimer available on its website
http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer