RE: [xmca] "Semiotic analysis" or "Semic analysis"?

Thank you, very much, David,

I understand, It's very interesting your approach... But you said that "Vygotsky likes to use the word "semasiological"" - then what was the Russian Vygotsky's term for "semasiological"? This was something that Vygotsky liked to use, or the English translators liked to use? I will see chapter 5 soon - the letters I have only in English, not in Russian yet, but I will see if there is something in Google about the letters in Russian too. I never read chapter 5 with this questions in mind before, in Portuguese translations I guess that "semasiological" is not so common until now... We have sometimes "semiotic" for "semicheskii" in the text "The problem of consciousness" as I said before, but "semicheskii" seem to work with the radical "sem_" very close to "sema" - the vocal must normally falls to construct the adjetive; of course this word "sema" have something to see with "sign", in my opinion... (Greek "σημεῖον" – semeion") - spite "sema" is currently associated with linguistic sign, not to all semiotic process, then I don't know, because Vygotsky at "The problem of consciousness" was actually talking about "words" too... not about all kind of signs, I wonder... But "semicheskii" was closer to "semic"... I don't find, right now, dictionaries and or Google entries to "semaziologuícheskii" (семазиологический) - nor something like this... But I have to see better. Then I will see my chapter 5 again, and maybe confront with 1934's Russian. To my opinion "semiotic" is broader than  "semantic" (if you consider Charles Morris' terms: semantics, pragmatics, syntax  - as tree kinds of semiotic relations: i.e. all that is semantic is semiotic, but not all that is semiotic is semantic)... I don't know about "semasiological"... Perhaps "semiotic" or "semasiological" could have something to see with the problem about distinction and/or similarity "semiotics x semiology"? I guess all this will be not our major problem here, of course... But as all you know better than I: "words , words, words" (...) "the rest is silence" :-)

Best.

Achilles.

(off topic: Andy, don´t worry, I'm work at the "Teaching about emotions" right now, too. It's walking...)