Re: [xmca] Playing to Learn

Interesting article...

I want to do my PhD research on something like this (the use of games in
education and its influence in the development of the higher
psychological functions - scholarship suggestions accepted). Many of the
things proposed by her already appears in the book "La imaginacion y el
arte en la infancia" from Vygotsky (don't know the name in english or
russian)...

And this kind of thing is not so imaginary... In Denmark there is a
boarding school that tries to implement some ideas like these (i don't
know their theoretical framework)... They use roleplaying games as
background for their educational practices. For those who wants to know
more about this school there are two articles:

Article about Danish school (page 12):
http://www.solmukohta.org/pub/Playground_Worlds_2008.pdf

Another article:
http://knutepunkt.laiv.org/2009/book/ElementsOfHarryPotter/

But, despite few exceptions, i think that parents and even some kids are
not interested in something like this... In Brazil the good education is
that who makes the young to pass the university exam test. This kind of
education proposed by Susan demands a lot more resources, better
educators, and small classes (most public schools here have about 40
people per class... but some private ones can reach 200). The
government, in a "market way of thinking", wants more people with
diploma (diploma in not equal to good or even real education) expending
less every year. They are not interested in real good human formation...
It is not good for the government or the corporations...

I see some projects like this of Susan working, but only in small
private schools with a no profit policy (generally these schools are
formed by association of educators and parentes, and all the profit is
reversed to improve the school)

But how to make this work in a larger scale? How make the people and the
governments to listen? Vygotsky wrote his book in 1930, and he was not
the only ane... In Brazil we have Paulo Freire also stating that formal
education must have a true meaning and use for those who are engaged in
it.

Don't know if my ideas are clear, but here are my 2 cents
contribution...

Wagner