Re: [xmca] Human spark TV show: when did the sparks begin?

Thanks Mike. Jared Diamond's short piece introduces the threads of an argument that agriculture was responsible for several current social inequities and lifestyle problems. Hunter-gatherers/nomadic cultures are at the far end of the cline of tolerance in today's scramble to grab what can be grabbed before the neighbour gets it. I even have a transcript from someone relationally close to me who claims the "Abos stuffed around and did nothing with this country for so fucking long that they deserved to lose it". I'm left wondering what we can do with these understandings we have of the pre-agricultural times.

Phil

On 29/01/2010, at 12:09 PM, mike cole wrote:

> Thanks, I kept getting video when searching local libraries.
> And in return, here is an article by Jared Diamond that seems appropriate
> to the conversation. Brief and easy to read.
> mike

Gough Whitlam, 1972:

“Our program has three great aims. They are:

	• to promote equality
	• to involve the people of Australia in the decision-making processes of our land
	• and to liberate the talents and uplift the horizons of the Australian people.”

In the space of a little less than three years, the Whitlam Government established formal diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China; assumed responsibility for tertiary education from the states and abolished tertiary fees; cut tariffs across the board by 25% and abolished the Tariff Board established the Schools Commission to distribute federal funds to assist non-government schools on a needs basis; introduced a supporting benefit for single-parent families; and abolished the death penalty for federal crimes. It also reduced the voting age to 18 years; abolished the last vestiges of the White Australia policy; introduced language programs for non-English speaking Australians; introduced the Multiculturalism policy for all new migrants; mandated equal opportunities for women in Federal Government employment; appointed women to judicial and administrative positions; abolished conscription; set up the National Aboriginal Consultative Committee; improved access to justice for Indigenous Australians; introduced the policy of Self-determination for Indigenous Australians; advocated land rights for Indigenous Australians; increased funding for Indigenous Australians' welfare; amalgamated the five separate defence departments; instituted direct federal grants to local governments; established the Order of Australia (Australia's own honours system); established Legal Aid, and increased funding for the arts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Whitlam