Re: [xmca] Education: Reaching the poorest

It seems to me that this article begs for us to address the question of
"Education for What?" With all the sloganeering around about 21st
skills/knowledge, with obvious local biases on class and gender lines that
deny education to the poor and female, or marginalized on other grounds,
what, positively speaking, are the new forms of human life for which we
ought to be enculturating our children? Schooling at present is an amplifier
of consumption, and alienator from the land, an alienator of people from
their families in many parts of the world, a reducer of population size, etc
etc.

Whoever "we" are, what do we want?
mike