[xmca] RE:Texas erasing Cesar Chavez & Hispanics from school books

This message was forwarded by a colleague not on xmca. it seemed worth
passing on. More unpleasant news about the state of the union.
mike

I thought you might be interested in this United Farm Workers e-activism
campaign. http://action.ufw.org/page/speakout/cectxjan10<http://action.ufw.org/page/ic/rhf9j9jrzg52e0/ShVXUgZLFUQAUltaRBEcAgZaREpeVgsCUg>

The UFW needs your help to stop the Texas state Board of Education from
erasing Cesar Chavez and all Hispanic historical figures from public school
text books. Since Texas is such a major textbook purchaser, such a move
could have a nationwide impact.

This Wednesday, Jan. 13, the state board will take a preliminary vote to
adopt new standards for social studies texts. These new standards would
eliminate all Hispanics since the conquest of Mexico in the early 16th
Century.Cesar Chavez, arguably the most important Hispanic civil rights
leader of the 20th Century, is among the historical figures to be
eliminated. One of Lowe’s so called "experts" said that Chavez "lacks the
stature…and contributions" and should not be "held up to our children as
someone worthy of emulation."

To read the entire story and then take action  go to: