Re: [xmca] critique of pure tolerance

What a fantastic discussion--the affordances of new media technologies!

I do wonder if tolerance is what we really want to sell. Tolerance, after all, is so often thought of as a gift from the powerful to the (relatively) powerless. It's what the dominant groups grant those marginalized groups that are lucky enough not to be too threatening or offensive. As in, "she's messy, but not intolerably so."

Or "she's a lesbian, but not one of those ~in your face~ lesbians."

Or "he's a Mormon, but he doesn't preach his craziness to me."

And so on.

When it comes to silliness, play, and senses of humor, the powerless have to learn to deploy these things and engage these senses in others in careful, strategic ways. Silliness walks a knife's edge, after all. Over on that side is jokesterism; and on the other side is insubordination, blasphemy, revolt.

Revoltingly,
Jenna

~~

Jenna McWilliams
Learning Sciences Program, Indiana University
~
http://jennamcwilliams.blogspot.com
http://remediatingassessment.blogspot.com
~