Fwd: [xmca] praise and criticism: chinese-American comparison

Hi Mike,
Don't know what happened that the message was only sent to you. I clicked on
"reply" as I usually do. This time I typed in the addresses.

That's a good question. I would think that deciding on a topic, choosing a
theoretical framework, and designing research tasks create some constraint
to what kind of data is collected; once the data are collected, especially
if they are qualitative in nature, they probably resist being confined. If
the framework is chosen after data collection, as Miller et a.'s study, it
would not unnecessarily constrain data collection.

Sorry for not making it clear: my study is not a comparison study. It's a
group of children who are bilingual and who also take on the role of
language interpreters in community settings. I use Robbie Case's theory of
central conceptual structure as the framework and his central social
structure to assign scores. I follow basically Marini and Case (1994,
Development of abstract reasoning about the physical and social world, in
Child Development). I am now analyzing the interview data from bottom up to
look for patterns. I hope this time the description is not confusing.

It is going to be a busy term.
Yuan