RE: [xmca] Fwd: Happy 2010 to all of you....

One thing we get with fiction that we don't get with actual (I am struggling to come up with a term because it seems real is too close to the philosophical position of realism) is that fiction is certain while actual processes are by nature - or through nature - indefinite.  I took this to be one of Eco's major points.  Well drawn fictional charcaters are more attractive to us, more real to us (and this time I do accept the realist perspective) because we are certain about what happens to them.  I thought Eco's notion of who we understand more as committing suicide the literary character or Hitler.  Hitler existed but we lack a certainty of what actually happened to him, so this makes an Anna Karenina or a Madame Bovary more of a presence in our lives - to the point where when Woody Allen recreates Madame Bovary in a comic piece we continue to feel we know her.  I thought it was really interesting when he compared the actual Napoleon with Napoleon as a fictional character. It is an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of before.  There's some Freud somewhere in there I think.

Michael

________________________________

From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Larry Purss
Sent: Fri 1/1/2010 4:48 PM
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture,Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: Happy 2010 to all of you....

Happy New Year everyone

Well Mike I'm glad we settled the ongoing debate on what is the meaning of "consciousness" and also came to a consensus on the role of "emotion" in the human sciences because the discussion between Eco and Valsiner opens up a line of inquiry that may generate a topic worthy of a new decade
The question

"What is the ontological status of FICTION and what is REAL."

I can't say that I have a firm position on how to answer this question but I do see that it is a theme that runs through a lot of the CHAT conversations. The ontological and social status of the REIFICATION of concepts such as "capitalism" as "fictional" constructs or "real" social "facts".
is part of this discussion.

The description of "individualistic" vs "collectivistic" tendencies in infant development and classroom practices speaks to the "fictional" abstract generalizing group processes.
When we describe particular practices or events and look for larger patterns in the culture we are engaging in constructing fictional narratives to explain our conduct.
As Jaan Valsiner states, "through all these meaning-making moves we are creating FICTIONS-IN-THE-REAL." (page 111)  As Valsiner summarizes in his article Umberrto Uco's article is a construction of "eloquent fictions- about others and about himself - are a testimony to the restless eagerness of the inquisitive human minds who create beautiful and horrifying fictional worlds - AND INHABIT THEM" (page 111)
As both Eco and Valsiner agree these fictions do not have ontological status but are "real" as social facts which are recognized as having a shared reality and real consequences in the world.
Uco points out that for an athiest every supernatural object is fictional because inaccessible to our senses whereas for a believer these supernatural objects are real.  (they rely on two different ontologies).
However how "real" is this dividing boundary between believers and athiests?
Valsiner points out the processes in the social sciences have parallels to true believers. Famous thinkers search for understandings as tentative FALLIBLE efforts usually phrased in vague terms.  Then social scientists who follow the famous thinkers read the fallible texts and search for "truths" AS IF these words are final and immutable.  The famous social scientists through this literary process of interpretation and RE-interpretation of their works are turned into FICTIONAL CHARACTERS by the fame attributed to them and the recognition of "the truths of the grand masters.  In this way their ideas get fixed in a way analogous to the fixation of Hamlet or Jesus in our collective memory.
Going to university and spending years learning a tradition (such as communication studies)is one of the central ways to create meaning and find a "calling" within university scholarship. Calling it a fictional process in no way negates the power of this way to inhabit a disciplinary structure.
This "perspectival realism" allows one to envision an open space that sees the parallels between the construction of ideals in religious and scientific and humanistic endeavors. In all these frames one can take a fundamentalist stance or a stance of fallibility and inquiry.
Gadamer seems to have a lot to add to this topic but I don't feel qualified to say much except that his insights seem very relevant to this topic.  However his metaphor of "horizon of understanding" does capture the recognition that one inhabits particular discourses (traditions or canons) which are passed on through education.

A final thought on the role of "agency" in this topic.  Can one choose which fiction to inhabit as a personal choice or is one's fictional narrative determined by social circumstances.  My bias is to suggest that agency is a "capacity" and not innate. Agency is also a fictional construct which one can inhabit WHEN self is first recognized by (m)other. (This goes back to Mead and the social self).

This perspective on fiction challenges the term "mere fiction" as a term of  dismissal to negate another's perspective.  However we are still left with the ethical and moral response-ability to act and do we decide how to act in private reverie or in conversation with others?  The last caution I suggest is that many people view the construction of fiction as a private act and we must bring back the recognition that constructing fictional narratives are discourses that we share.

Larry