From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of Tony Whitson
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 11:33 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: RE: [xmca] Obama's Learn Act

David, have you published on this (I know you were working on it for
publication)?

I'm sorry I haven't had time to follow this thread, but if you've
already
cited something you have published, I hope you won't be hesitant (over
concerns about self-promotion) to repeat the citation.

Also, congratulations on living in the #1 happiest state in the US
(according to a study reported in newspaters today)!

On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, David H Kirshner wrote:

> Michael,
>

> Finally, a moment to respond, to you, but also to the many subsequent
> posts that have lamented the politically intractable landscape of
> education.
>

> I'm reminded of the Math Wars (my own home turf) that has been a
scourge
> in the U.S. for almost 15 years now. In it, reformers, rallying around
> the Curriculum & Evaluation Standards promulgated by the National
> Council of Teachers of Mathematics, are pitted against conservatives
who
> insist on repetitive practice and lecture methods. As expected,
> legislatures that have been drawn into the fray (e.g., California)
have
> tended to side with conservatives. Conservatives, in this dispute,
> number among their members a large and vocal cadre of prominent
> mathematicians (see the 1999 open letter to the U.S. Secretary of
> Education signed by 200 of them denouncing reform curricula:
> http://www.mathematicallycorrect.com/nation.htm).
>

> Reformers have been quick to lament the ideological tenor of the
debate.
> But it should be kept in mind that mathematicians are not your usual
> ideologues. Rather in California (the epicenter of the Math Wars)
where
> [...]
> the major psychological schools-behavioral/cognitive, developmental,
and
> sociocultural, respectively.
>
> 3. The best possibility for a coherent and accessible pedagogical
theory
> parses "good teaching" into 3 separate genres related to these 3
> intuitive notions of learning.
>
> 4. Such a parsing separates out values issues (what sort(s) of
learning
> should we pursue in educational settings) from efficacy issues (how
can
> we best support learning).
>
> 5. Current pedagogical theorizing is not oriented around genres, but
> rather is integrative; the orienting goal is to identify a single set
of
> practices that constitutes the practices of good teaching.
>
> 5i. Good teaching framed in this integrative fashion obscures
reference
> back to the grounding metaphorical intuitions about learning. As
result
> such theorizing tends to be intellectually intractable.
>
> 5ii. Any particular version of good teaching framed in this
integrative
> fashion reifies certain learning goals over others. This conflation of
> values issues with issues of efficacy makes pedagogical theory
> inherently divisive.
>
> 6. The tendency toward integrative theorizing in education traces back
> to two sociological circumstances: (i) the preparadigmatic status of
> psychology; and (ii) the historic subservience of education to
> psychology.
>
> 6i. As a preparadigmatic science the historical imperative is to
achieve
> paradigmatic consensus. Thus each psychological school works outward
> from its primary intuitions about learning to try to encompass the
> broader concerns of the field. The hegemonic agenda for each is to
> present learning as a complex and multifaceted process that eventually
> can become an umbrella for the whole field.
>
> 6ii. Because education is in a (subservient) partnership with
> psychology, educators have come to adopt the psychologists'
aspirational
> view of learning as unitary or integrative, thereby denying what is
> plainly obvious: at this historical juncture learning is diversely
> conceived within unreconciled psychological traditions. Indeed,
> education plays out as a surrogate field for psychology's competitive
> ambitions.
>

> In short, I think we have been less than effective in influencing
> education because what we provide for education is a discourse that is
> both confusing and divisive.
>

> David
>

> *Michael, my point isn't that philosophical and ontological analyses
of
> the sort you referenced aren't important and relevant. Rather, I see
> these as background influences on the psychological framings of

this
> idea that children should learn knowledge in preschool of basic
letters,
> numbers, vocabulary so they can be ready to learn immediately (and if
> they are not doing this something is wrong) is a sort of mash up of
> nativism (the idea that humans are programmed to recognize certain
types
> of information and once they are exposed to it they will integrate it
> into their thinking), cognitive architectures (the idea that you
should
> build specific types of architectures in the brain early which will
> allow children to make connections with new more complex information
> later), the efficacy of direct instruction (see nativist), and a
realist
> perspective (that there is specific type of information in the world
> that the child needs to know that will make them more successful -
once
> they are able to recognize and process this information they will be
> able to use it to their own and society's advantage).  Underlying
these
> assumptions is the idea that the child is basically a passive learner,
> and that once the mind recognizes important information it will take
> over.  I find the arguments confusing and circular, and in some ways
> dangerous (suggesting that there is a specific type of knowledge that
is
> valuable and should take precedence, and that this knowledge can be
used
> to control nature).  It is also opposite of what early chilhood
> educators such as Friedrich Frobel, Maria Montessori, the people who
> have been working in Piagetian, Deweyan, and Vygotskian paradigms have
> been doing for over a century.  All of that work has simply been swept
> aside for this new - it isn't even a paradigm.  I don't know what it
is.

> I don't think there is any strong logical argument that can be made
for
> this position.  And I think there is really no empirical evidence that
> suggests this leads to better learners (unless some great breakthrough
> occurred while I was asleep).  And yet over the last couple of decades
> it seems to have become gospel in some very important circles
> (especially in the government).  The only answer I can think of is
that
> it fills some social and/or economic need.
>

> Michael
>

> ________________________________

COULD
> be framed for pedagogical practice toward diverse goals become
> homogenized within a shapeless, integrative discourse. Sloganeering
> substitutes in for intellectual foundation; competing camps attest to
> the strength (i.e., influence) of the psychological schools whose
> theories have inspired the slogans.
>
> David

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education