Re: [xmca] bodies and artifacts

I have the whole article if you or others are interested, Andy.
I am still trying to sort all this out and do not have a fixed position.
By my analysis (see lchc.ucsd.com) human beings are hybrids so its hard for
me to draw lines. At the same time, clearly, human newborns are cultural
"objects" in that they emerge into a cultural environment which interprets
them and arranges their futures in various ways.

I REALLY recommend J.D. Peters' *Speaking into the air* which we have been
reading along with various other texts in this class. And of course,
Raymond Williams is worth reading whether you agree or not all the time.

mike

PS-- blind man and stick does not, so far as i know, stem from
activity theory. Merleau Ponty, Bateson (where i encountered it)
and probably lots of other places. Among psychologists in "the west" the
name James Gibson plays a role here --the "originator" (whatever that means)
of the idea of affordances, coped by so many others its hard to count.