Re: [xmca] IRF pattern

David,

Nice to see the examples, and ponder the micro-meso issues.

In fact in my own work I did not use IRF, but the term "triadic dialogue" for something more like a speech genre. The term never caught on, and perhaps because it is a lot easier to work with a formally defined analytical unit (ala Sinclair & Coulthard) than with something like a discourse formation, which is more defined functionally (or through a form-function relation with more emphasis on the function side).

There is also the even simpler distinction between what can be done with a SINGLE IRE or IRF exchange, and what can be done with several minutes of cumulative reasoning through a sequence of such exchanges, and the meta-discursive comments and elaborations and preambles to questions that make up a typical instance of the "genre". (Terminologically, this small scale discourse formation pattern might be a speech genre in Bakhtin's terms, but may not be one by many other definitions of genre. The term "rhetorical formation" is also around, though that tends to be for the more "pure" varieties of IRF-IRF-IRF etc. if not just a single one.)

Good IRE discourse, i.e. effective for stimulating thinking and understanding, tends in my experience to be a very "impure" a hybrid in which a lot more is going on alongside the IRE exchanges and in between them, including affective expressions, non-correctness evaluations, personal relationship management, etc. For me it's still an instance of the broader triadic dialogue speech genre, or the IRE- based discourse pattern of classrooms.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct, 2009-2010)
Educational Studies
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109
www.umich.edu/~jaylemke

Visiting Scholar
Laboratory for Comparative Human Communication
University of California -- San Diego
La Jolla, CA
USA 92093