Re: [xmca] Does "Obuchenie" Have Two Sides?

Thanks for this really interesting conversation. As a neophyte I'm
taking a deep breath here and nervously jumping into a conversation
amongst giants. I am currently attempting to use obuchenie as a central
concept in my PhD research, arguing that perhaps using a 'new' word with
teachers makes it easier for them to think about teaching and learning
in a new way (as a conjoint practice that both teachers and learners
engage in together).

I have argued that it is difficult to assign new conceptualisations to
existing terms we have traditionally conceptualised in different ways
and that perhaps using teaching/learning still provides an image of
simply bringing together the two contradictory practices of teaching and
learning (as understood in their old way) rather than helping teachers
think about it in a new way as a dialectical unity which has its own
unique properties (more than the sum of its parts).

I then go on in my proposal for confirmation of candidature paper to
spend nearly 6000 words trying to explain what the unique properties of
obuchenie are. In a nutshell I talk about the ZPD (although taking a
holistic approach to development recognising the importance of the
affective dimension alongside the more typical cognitive approach);
intersubjectivity and perezhivanie; authentic meaning and motives for
participating in the activity; and recognising that all of this occurs
within a particular cultural-historical context that both determines and
is determined by the interactions of the participants.

I would be interested to hear what others think are the unique qualities
of obuchenie and why/whether translations as even teaching/learning or
teaching-learning may be inadequate for generating new understandings
amongst teachers.

Pressing send before I lose my nerve...
Cheers,
Helen