[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Re: Berlin Wall "poetry"
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Berlin Wall "poetry"
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:35:59 -0800
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:reply-to:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Whir9f/GVBWbQHbegAJ7ujA/hwE7IedJ1+YRI02RAw0=; b=ZMStMs12HL+BD+AJ2lD9hyjvX3fY2vxstmh8x+ZpNBgwQ5fnXJS4y9/JWfIbo+0rkP d/8KcdxL9j5et/kOTVD15NgV31fRq4Dj+ktbBfH2tbS7h0N9OlAVwf0Bv3PB5JxUHwHn D9H2mHfcMn1s9UMOx1NFJ8irictyGBoclEB0k=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; b=tXu/Sllynb1tb3/DTOBDAnIVXnTwIab2M2AfUBkOZW5GLqFtvxaz7zpTmzSFIFidTh W84qJYVn5y/42yhJpJ9XVo+GTm8nOVPckaO+YjeGLR+39+dCDKuHxe7z7fm4a54sIcFA O0yZNxwp91twwhVo3Vf3T0PuYa+KeDJNq/bxQ=
- In-reply-to: <20091112212521.ANV84763@m4500-00.uchicago.edu>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20091112212521.ANV84763@m4500-00.uchicago.edu>
- Reply-to: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Greg, David, et al.--
David "decoded you" just fine, Greg. But your post and its ambiguity are a
reminder of how difficult it is to communicate irony and like ambiguities in
Thanks to you both for your sincere efforts at getting us to member (in
re-membering). Kind of sobering that David thinks maybe 50 years more of
re-membering will bring us closer to the events in question. Betting on the
non-linearity of cultural history; it is non-linear, I believe, but whether
in its spinning around it gets closer to Eden is to hope for the best.
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM, Gregory Allan Thompson <
> David P, yes, this re-enactment is very sobering. And I know
> this isn't your point, but I thought I would mention that my
> last post was probably in poor taste. Not a good idea to make
> light of what was a very serious situation and a very
> important moment in history.
> It was prompted by a strange interview I heard with the Hoff
> on NPR that morning and I googled it later that day and saw
> the original video and was struck by the absurdity of the
> moment - everything from the jacket to the lyrics (which
> didn't seem to have anything to say) to the horrific singing
> to the audience reaction (which was mildly antagonistic).
> Needless to say in his interview with NPR, the Hoff painted a
> very different picture of what happened (he even suggested
> that they would probably invite him back for the 20th
> anniversary - don't think it happened).
> Anyway, apologies for the poor taste.
> >Message: 2
> >Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:46:30 -0300
> >From: David Preiss <firstname.lastname@example.org>
> >Subject: Re: [xmca] Berlin Wall "poetry"
> >To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
> >Message-ID: <7332D42B-50D2-4BB9-B578-8C996FEFDC3D@me.com>
> >Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed;
> >Hi Greg,
> >Yes. This is, indeed, laughable and a mass media inspired
> >of a historical moment. And, surprisingly staged, for what
> >was, according to these days reporting, a spontaneous
> situation. Who
> >know how spontaneous it really was. Maybe we will know 50
> years from
> >Still, it does not make the DDR less oppressive of what it
> was. Check
> >this contemporary artistic re-enacment:
> >Certainly, it makes me think of Guantanamo and their unknown
> >Thanks for sharing!
> Greg Thompson
> Ph.D. Candidate
> The Department of Comparative Human Development
> The University of Chicago
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list