Re: [xmca] established fact: x per cent of people are happy

So am I right that this paper argues that stupid as
self-reporting of mental states may be, it is better than
conventional choice theory? They even talk about people's
"perception of their experience." Wow! Long live the homunculus!

One that always makes me laugh is whenever there is a
scandal about advertising of some kind, the journalists go
out into the streets and ask the punters if they are
influenced by advertising. Surprise, surprise, the result is
always 100% "no."

Interesting to read that there is currently an explosion of
these happiness surveys and their scientific credibility. I
thought Amartya Sen has done a pretty good job on this one.
Rather than using Sen's classic example of the Indian beggar
who sleeps on a wet concrete floor every night, but has just
laid some fresh straw, I decided to do a survey myself. My
partner was 3 years ago an attractive, gregarious, smoking,
drinking, eating butterfly who had never even had a headache
in 50 years. Then she had a stroke. She can't eat, let alone
smoke or drink, can hardly talk or walk, doesn't go out and
is in almost constant pain. I just asked her if she's happy.
Answer "yes." I don't deny that that tells me something. And
I was pleased to hear it, too. Answers to researchers'
questions are objective data. But it is nonsense to think
that these words reflect observations of a person's own
state of consciousness.

Oh, and I'm happy too.

Thanks for the paper David. I will study it with more
liesure shortly.

Andy

David Preiss wrote:
Dear Andy,

This paper by Daniel Kahneman and Alan Krueger addresses your question, I think:

Developments in the Measurement
of Subjective Well-Being
Daniel Kahneman and Alan B. Krueger
Journal of Economic Perspectives—Volume 20, Number 1—Winter 2006 —Pages 3–24

http://www.krueger.princeton.edu/PDF%20of%20Kahneman%20Krueger%20paper.pdf

According to these authors, self reported measures may be not that bad, after all.

David