Re: [xmca] Arne Raeithel's "genealogy"

Geoffrey Binder at RMIT has used Activity Theory in Town Planning, and I think Yrjo Engestrom has too. I have my own ideas on this, but I don't see, at this point, how CHAT usefully contributes at that level.

A lot of CHAT people read Critical Theory (few vice versa) but I am not aware of a significant amount of mutual interpretation.

Let's see what others know ...

Andy

Jonna Kangasoja wrote:
Thanks again Andy,

What is happening in the planning theory field is that planning theory
based on Habermas's Discourse Ethics ('Critical Planning Theory') has
been heavily challenged for a good while now. There seems to be also
some miscommunication on what the nature/scope/aim of CPT theory is,
and whether it actually is a theory of planning at all, or rather a
philosophy of planning communication.

There seems to be a need for a planning theory, which could provide
descriptive and prescriptive  accounts of actual planning practices.
Theoretical resources are being sought elsewhere (Foucault, Deleuze,
STS, CHAT...). This is an ongoing project of which I am part of too.

My question, however, was more on how do people read Habermas'
influence on today's Activity Theorists.

Jonna