[xmca] FYI - 7th International Design & Emotion Conference Oct 4-7, 2010 - first Call for Papers & Design Cases

Dear friends and colleagues,
Design & Emotion 2010 is a well-regarded international peer-reviewed design research conference in its 14th year that may be of interest to some of you with interest in design. Please feel welcome to contact me.
Best
Judith

* * * * * *
Dear friends and colleagues,
We're very glad to announce the 7th International Design & Emotions Conference,
October 4-7, 2010 in Chicago, Institute of Design, IIT and Design & Emotions Society.

Please find our first Call for Papers and Design Cases, attached and appended below.
The deadline for full papers, design cases and workshop proposals deadline is February 15.

D&E 2010 conference website:
http://www.id.iit.edu/de2010/

About the Design & Emotion Society:
http://www.designandemotion.org/

We look forward to you joining us.
Best regards,

Judith Gregory, Keiichi Sato, Pieter Desmet, Geke Ludden
DE2010@id.iit.edu

* * * * * *
First Call for Papers and Design Cases

7th International Conference on Design & Emotion
Chicago, October 4-7, 2010
Hosted by The Institute of Design, IIT

The Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology and the Design & Emotion Society are pleased to invite you to participate in the 7th International Conference on Design & Emotion in Chicago, October 4-7. The International Conference on Design & Emotion is a forum held every other year where practitioners, researchers and industry leaders meet and exchange knowledge and insights concerning the cross-disciplinary field of design and emotion. The conference will offer workshops, research paper presentations, design case presentations, and poster presentations. The conference language is English.

Since this conference was first established in 1999, what many predicted then came to be. Technologies are now able to achieve emotional qualities and design examples using these technologies abound. While we have made significant progress in research and practice relevant to emotional factors in design, many fundamental questions remain unanswered and new issues have been raised as we experience major changes in technological, social, cultural and economic environments. We are at the stage for another leap forward in the development of new understanding and vision of emotional factors in design through our critical reflection, innovative exploration and collaborative endeavor. This conference calls for your contribution to this exciting international forum of research and practice representing academic, professional and business communities.

Full Papers, Posters and Design Cases
D&E Conference invites practitioners and researchers to submit research papers and design cases. Submissions addressing issues of Design & Emotion are invited from extended communities beyond design studies, such as computer science, HCI, psychology, cognitive science, social science, humanities, engineering, health sciences, marketing and business.

Full Papers are expected to contribute widely applicable long-lasting knowledge to the discipline. Accepted papers will be presented in the conference program and published in the proceedings. If you wish, an accompanying demonstration can be also presented in a poster/demonstration session. The paper length is a maximum of 12 pages (approximately 4,000 words plus figures and tables) in the specified format. Unlike previous D&E conferences that asked for an extended abstract as the first submission, starting this year, the first submission requires a full paper.

Posters are short papers of research presented in a form of A0 size (841mm wide x 1189mm high) poster in the interactive poster session of the conference. Demonstrations of the work are welcome in the session. The paper length should be a maximum of 5 pages (approximately 2,000 words plus figures and tables) and an additional page containing a full page image of the poster in the specified format for the publication in the conference proceedings. The first submission requires a short paper manuscript without the poster page.

Design cases are invited for submission to present your projects and your company's design projects that address issues and insights in design and emotion, communicate and discuss your approach to enhance emotional effects. Your case will contribute to the accumulation of experience and sharing of knowledge in the field of design and emotion. Design case submissions must include a summary description in a maximum of 4 pages (approximately 2,000 words) in the specified format and a maximum of 30 slides illustrating the design, design process and use. Summaries of accepted design cases will be published in the conference proceedings.

Call for workshops
We invite researchers and practitioners to submit proposals for workshops. Workshops will be held on October 4, 2010 prior to the main program of the conference. The purpose is to provide a platform for presenting novel ideas in a less formal and possibly more focused way than the conference itself. The format of each workshop is to be determined by the organizers, but each workshop is expected to include ample time for general discussion. A workshop proposal should include:

* The name of the workshop and the sponsoring organization
* A workshop position paper outlining the background issues, workshop goal and approach (a maximum of 1,200 words). If accepted in the first review, the submission for the second review must include a position paper (a maximum of 4 pages, approximately 1,500 words)
* The names, affiliations, and contact information of the organizers
* The intended number of attendees (maximum and minimum)
* The planned length of the workshop (half day – 3 hours or full day – 6 hours)

Submission and Review Process
Submission and review processes will be handled by our conference system. All submissions will have a double blind review process with at least two reviewers. Submissions accepted in the first review will receive reviewers’ comments for necessary revisions for the second submission. All submissions accepted in the second review will be asked to submit the final manuscripts in the camera-ready format. The detailed authoring guideline will become available at a later date on the conference website.

Topics
Design & Emotion is the overarching theme of the conference. This year, the conference adds a particular focus on Design & Emotion in emerging societal issues of our lives and living environments. Another focus is on strategic roles of Design & Emotion in business. The areas of these foci include fundamental research into Design & Emotion that further enhances our intellectual foundation as well as the emotional aspects of the following topic areas:

Design for Wellbeing
Healthcare
Elderly Living
Food, Health and Culture
Universal/ Inclusive Design

Design for Environments
Sustainable Lifestyle
Product and System Life Cycle

Interaction and Context-sensitivity
Human-Robot Interaction
Product Adaptation
User Learning

Service Design
Modeling Experiences
Retail Design

Strategic Design and Business
Decision-Making
Business Models
Branding

Foundation for Design and Emotion
Temporality, Uncertainty and Polarity of Emotion
Affordance, Semiotics, Value and Emotion
Research Methodologies
Design Methodologies
Theoretical Foundations
Philosophical Foundations and Implications to Design

Important Dates
February 15 : Official deadline for paper, design case and workshop submissions
April 15    : Notification of acceptance for the first reviewing
May 15      : Submission deadline for revised papers
June 15     : Final acceptance notification
July 15     : Deadline for Early Registration - required for authors, to be in proceedings
July 31     : Submit camera-ready manuscript
October 4   : Tutorials and Workshops
October 5-7 : Conference

Join us in Chicago

The Conference Motto: Blatantly Blues
Chicago is the home of the Blues. The Blues expresses the emotional journey of our life experience. Sorrow and joy, desire and apathy, agony and comfort, and love and despair are woven into the colorful sounds of the Blues. Things and events in our life always have multiple meanings and multiple emotional responses and so do the Blues. The 7th International Conference on Design and Emotion calls for rich discourse on a full spectrum of complex emotional experiences and their implications to Design. During the conference, you will also have opportunities for emotional experiences with the Chicago Blues.

Design & Emotion Society
The Design & Emotion Society raises issues and facilitates dialogue among practitioners, researchers, and industry, in order to integrate salient themes of emotional experience into the design profession. The Design & Emotion society was established in 1999 as an international network of researchers, designers and companies sharing an interest in experience-driven design. The network is used to exchange insights, research, tools and methods that support the involvement of emotional experience in product design. Although the initiative originated from the discipline of product design and design research, through the years practitioners have contributed from other design disciplines such as interaction design and branding design and, in turn, benefited from the D & E network and activities.

Conference Organizers
Conference Chair: Judith Gregory
Organizing Committee Chair: Keiichi Sato
Institute of Design
Illinois Institute of Technology
350 N. LaSalle Street
Chicago, Illinois 60654 USA
www.id.iit.edu
E-mail: DE2010@id.iit.edu

The conference website is open and will have more detailed information soon.
http://www.id.iit.edu/de2010/

--
Judith Gregory, Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy in Design, Co-Coordinator