[xmca] Mead, Vygotsky and Hegel

I feel a bit like Lucille Ball working on the line at the
candy factory as I watch the incredible rate at which XMCA
posts are flying by. "Ooh, there is an interesting one to
respond to-- oops, I missed it -- oh look, this seems
fascinating, well maybe I'll catch the next -- uh, missed it"
and so on. It's wonderful to watch, but difficult to keep up
with the rate of production... So I stand in awe.

Anyway, I was just teaching a bit of Hegel's Phenomenology
last week and Mike's post on Mead was striking in its
parallels to Hegel's approach. Of this parallel, Patchen
Markell writes:

In a 1925 letter to his daughter-in-law Irene, Mead wrote that
his social psychology could be understood as “an attempt to do
from my own standpoint what Hegel undertook in his
Phenomenology.”
“I hope,” he added, “it won’t be as inscrutable.”  George
Herbert Mead to Irene Tufts Mead, September 10, 1925, The
George Herbert Mead Papers, University of Chicago, Regenstein
Library, Special Collections, Box 1a, Folder 13 (italicized
“Phenomenology” and apostrophe in “won’t” added).

Taken from a paper by Patchen Markell entitled "The Potential
and the Actual: Mead, Honneth and the I" and can be found in
the book: For Recognition and Power, ed. David Owen and Bert
van den Brink (and I have a .doc copy of the final document
that does not give any instructions against sharing...).

Any thoughts on limitations of the parallel between the two?
As I recall from a conversation on this list serve, there
seemed to be something of a consensus that Vygotsky had
Hegelian influences (certainly via Marx, but also as a direct
influence). This seems to be to be what ties Mead and Vygotsky
together so strongly. I suppose that Mead would have read Marx
too, but Marx doesn't have much in the way of an explicit
theory of the development of the Self in the way that Hegel
does, so it would seem that Hegel provides a much tighter link
than Marx. Anyone care to provide a different account? Or
maybe to argue that Mead and Vygotsky are quite different?

Best,
greg
p.s. RE: keeping up with the intensification of posts on the
conveyor belt that is XMCA, I have a couple lingering posts
that still have to be "wrapped up" (like candies?) somewhere
down the line, that is if I don't eat them before then!.

Message: 2