[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] "Creature Consciousness," "Heil Heidegger!," etc.
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] "Creature Consciousness," "Heil Heidegger!," etc.
- From: Martin Packer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 13:15:18 -0500
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
This, just published, looks to be of interest to some people here.
Anyone have access?
Anthropological Theory 2009;9 235-251
Where thought belongs
An anthropological critique of the project of philosophy
Michael D. Jackson
Adorno, Arendt, Badiou, Derrida, Heidegger and Rorty have variously
called for radically new conceptions of philosophy, but none has made
a case for turning from the historical and genealogical past to the
anthropological present. Taking the view that thought cannot escape
the impress of a thinker’s immediate situation, this article invokes
the phenomenological notions of lifeworld and lebensphilosophie to
explore the social spaces where thought arises and transpires.
Beginning with Hannah Arendt’s conception of thinking as grounded in
the vita activa rather than the vita contemplativa, it is suggested
that ethnographic method provides a compelling way of realizing her
vision of thought as inextricably political and tied to events —
expressions of the power relations between human subjects, and between
private and public realms.
xmca mailing list