Re: [xmca] concept

In the Heidegger-Derrida lineage of thinking, language and world are irremediably intertwined; but language is later arriving, language as re-presentation. There are forms of "communication" that precede representation, for example, in the warning calls of birds and so on. At some point in anthropogenesis, there is retention (Husserl), and this allows and requires language as re-presentation. Now it was Heidegger who points out first that there is an ideology (the metaphysical one) of presence, which does not distinguish between present and the presence of the present, which it can be only through representation. We can think of something only when it is there in retention, when we can re-present it and therefore do as if the something is present when in fact it is absent. Re-presentation really makes salient the absence of the present. There is temporalization and spatialization associated with this disjuncture that occurred somewhere in human evolution. "Concepts" are possible only because of this phenomenon, because of representation, which allows us to have the same sound-word to denote very different experiences, my beloved plum tree in front of my office window is a tree as much as each of the three apple trees that I planted in the front yard, as the quince tree, the two pear trees. All of these are trees, and they can only be because the same sound-word is useable across time and space and to different entities (which at least involves some comparison), and all of this is possible only because of the initial disjuncture between present and the presence of the present.
And so it goes.
Michael

On 2009-10-28, at 9:10 AM, ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:

Michael & Andy, Steve & lurkers:

This is an extremely interesting conversation pertaining to the kernel of
human development.

Getting back to the example of water freezing.  If a child is making
kool-aid and takes ice cubes out of the freezer and then puts water in the ice cube tray to make more ice his actions are based upon the 'concept' of
water freezing.  Michael; I, like Andy, see no words used in the child
freezing water but rather an activity that revolves around a socialized
more of making ice cubes.

However, I can also examine within the history of human development the
imprinting of natural occurences within the human experience.  These
natural occurences do not begin in the word and are indeed separate from
the word.  The influences vary from dances and song to the burning of
insence, etc

Is there room?

What do lurkers think?

What do lurkers do?

eric

Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
10/28/2009 08:46 AM
Please respond to ablunden; Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture,
Activity"