Re: [xmca] concept

Vygotsky says, in reference to adolescents learning concepts:

"The unit ..., the simplest action with which the intellect of the adolescent operates, is, of course, not a representation, but a concept." (LSV CW v. 5 p.50)

If it is actions which are the units of "with which the intellect operates," then to say a concept is the unit of consciousness is only another way of saying that concepts are units of life.

This was also Hegel's position, but he didn't talk about activity. It was all thought. A concept was the unit of a "formation of consciousness", which was what Hegel called a "social formation" or "community of practice."

Andy

Steve Gabosch wrote:
You've packed a lot of ideas in a few sentences, Andy! Saying that concepts are words that are associated with systems of actions makes sense to me in that it links word-meaning with human action. But you say next that a concept is "the basic unit of the life of some system of practice." Could you clarify a little? Just trying to follow your thinking here ...

- Steve