Re: [xmca] Leontiev and Sign

I've had a long familiarity with Silverstein's work. Two of my best friends were his doctoral students many years ago, and his work has interesting parallels to my own, though we've never really had a personal dialogue.

Silverstein was a pioneer in bringing linguistics and anthropology together, sort of the next generation after Dell Hymes. But he was not so ethnographically oriented (as Dell's own students were, e.g. Michelle Fine, Judith Irvine, Elinor Ochs et al.), and was more of a theoretician, trying to compete with the Chomskyans, setting a functionalist paradigm against the formalism dominant in linguistics. He was a student of Roman Jakobson at Harvard, and he must have encountered Voloshinov and probably Vygotsky, if not then, later.

What he has mainly tried to do is to show how the reflexive capacities of language for talking about talk, and for talk as a form as action (cf. Austin), help us understand how it becomes a powerful tool for social action and a bridge between culture in the macro-social sense and semiotic action in the micro-social sense. From Jakobson he took the key linguistic idea of "shifters", more formally called indexicals, and broadened its application to understand how what we say always both says something about us and at the same time helps remake ourselves and the situation we are talking about into what it then is (or is for us).

Silverstein is not easy to summarize, and he is even harder to read, and hardest of all to understand when he presents orally (hyperfluent). Unfortunately for some reason he never wrote a magnum opus (or hasn't yet), so his ideas are scattered among many papers, each one quite brilliant in itself.

I think Stanton Wortham, one of his former students, reads xmca and might give a better overview.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor (Adjunct)
Educational Studies