Re: [xmca] A shot at definition of consciousness

What about this Eric, from Vygotsky's famous 6 January 1924 speech:

"And the act of thought, the act of consciousness is in our opinion not a reflex, that is, it cannot also be a stimulus, but it is the transmission mechanism between systems of reflexes."

http://www.marxists.org/archive/vygotsky/works/1925/reflexology.htm

That's like yours, but somewhat more general, not involving rent and jobs.

Andy
ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:
Hello all:

Here is an attempt:

Consciousness is the governor that allows for integration between the process structure of internal senses with the outside sensory stimulations for the purpose of goal-directed activity. It is the transition from "I need a job to pay rent" to "I need a job that allows me to have an identity".

eric