Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, mike cole wrote:

Whoa!! total agreement. And I Looooove unicorns.
My initial question was something like Martin's. "Tony, what does it mean
(for Peirce) to be 'aware of signs AS signs." Sounds a lot like thing in
itself.

First, just to mention -- I think this was before David Ki joined us at Louisiana State University -- when I arrived there we had an Asst. Prof. whose office featured bookshelves full of unicorns (he did not get tenure, but he was hired someplace in the Cal. State system, I think.).

As to "thing in itsef," the Peircean orientation (at least according to Deely, with whom I agree) is resolutely opposed to the Kantian dualistic denial of intercourse between human consciousness and the world of things as they be. Deely writes about "semiotism" vs. realism or idealisml. I use "actualism," not to mark a difference between me and Deely, but to make the same differentiation available to people who are not so familiar with Peircean semiotics as are Deely's readers.

In my classes, i ask students if they have ever seen a unicorn.  No one
ventures a yes. Then I ask them, are unicorns good or bad? They mostly all
raise their hands and say that they are good. Then we get into a good
discussion. Sounds like I have intuited myself toward what you two are
agreeing about.
mike