Re: [xmca] Consciousness, Piaget

Here is a quote from Lenin that discusses and agrees with Martin's point about the material basis of consciousness.

"This is materialism: matter acting upon our sense-organs produces sensation. Sensation depends on the brain, nerves, retina, etc., i.e., on matter organised in a definite way. The existence of matter does not depend on sensation. Matter is primary. Sensation, thought, consciousness are the supreme product of matter organised in a particular way. Such are the views of materialism in general, and of Marx and Engels in particular."

- from V.I. Lenin, Materialism and Empirio-Criciticism, Chapter One: The Theory of Knowledge of Empirio-Criticism and of Dialectical Materialism. Section 2. “The Discovery of the World-Elements”

Cheers,
- Steve