From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of Mike Cole
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2009 5:12 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Learning Sciences / Science of Education

Wow!
Match meets gasoline puddle.
Thanks for additional refs David Ki
Is it some other Keith Sawyer who is editor of the Handbook of Learning
Sciences? The guy i am thinking about writes about creativity,
improvisation, emergence....

share martin's questions, although I think I get the spirit of the
distinction being made.

Luria being cited as central to the neuro side of things is encouraging,
Emily. But then we have the interpenetration and co-constructive actions
of
phylogeny and ontogeny from the get-go. What I have seen in the brain-ed
literature mostly goes from brain-->education, and not from
culturally organized experience (read enculturation, of which education
is a
subset) to the brain.
mike

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> Fascinating discussion - but could someone provide me with some
> clarification of the 'production' model (of schooling? of cognition?)
and
> the formation model (of knowledge? of the learner? Bildung)?
>
> And is the claim that learning science is hegemonic with respect to
other
> perspectives (such as Piaget or LSV), or wrt schooling (curriculum)?
>
> And 'dissipation' of situative perspectives... In the sense of being
> dispersed and lost? Seems to me everyone in cog sci is jumping on the
> situated bandwagon. More co-opted than dissipated?
>
> hanging on to this thread for dear life...
>
> Martin
>

> On Sep 15, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Tony Whitson wrote:
>
>  David,
>>
>> Your message is powerfully corrobarative.
>>
>> It arrived as I was preparing documents for inclusion in the web page
I'll
>> be posting in response to this thread. One of those documents is a
very
>> slightly expanded version of a proposal for AERA this year on
Learning
>> Sciences / Science of Education as a hegemonic project.
>>
>> In terms of HOW PEOPLE LEARN, Piaget, Vygotsky -- and how Dewey,
Lave,
>> etc. get contortedly forced into that framework, see my "Curriculum &
the
>> post-(cognitivist) synthesis,"
>> at http://wp.me/p1V0H-1O . (If you vaguely remember having seen this
>> before, it's because I skipped ahead to this page when you appeared
in my
>> classroom a couple years ago.)
>>
>> I find this article very helpful for understanding what's happening
here:

>> Lave, J. (1991). Situating learning in communities of practice. In L.
B.
>> Resnick, J. M. Levine & S. D. Teasley (Eds.), Perspectives on
socially
>> shared cognition (1st ed., pp. 63-82). Washington, DC: American
>> Psychological Association.
>>
>> I will include that in the page for tonight.
>>
>> Emily, my own answer (obviously not speaking for David) is that David
>> nails the problem with his reference to the production model. The
difference
>> between production and formation is absolutely crucial. I think
Cognitive
>> Science is generally oblivious to that difference. Some Cog Sci is
clearly
>> productionist. There's nothing to preclude Cog Sci from recognizing
>> formation as distinct from production, but often in its obliviousness
it
>> remains equivocal and ambiguous at best. Given that in U.S. English
>> discourse education as formation has pretty much disappeared from the
>> language, writing must be done deliberately to preclude texts from
being
>> read as productionist texts, and I don't see that happening in the
Cog Sci