Re: [xmca] Types of Generalization: concepts and pseudoconcepts

Are you the Peg Griffin who was here at ucsd?
Elaine
On Sep 14, 2009, at 5:36 PM, Peg Griffin wrote:

It's just a part of ecological validity (EV), Andy.

Who's to say that the "p" "not p" version of the Wason task is the
genetically primary example of it?
Maybe the retail store task is closer to that.
And maybe the mathematizing of it was a social move for purposes unrelated to the properties of the task -- maybe to advance the intellectualization of management, maybe to fortify mathematics, maybe just to build an SES sorting
machine far away from retail clerks' interests.

Here's a little bit on EV:
When you work with a finding from the experimental setting or the school
setting, you know something but there may be more to it.
In general, in non-EV work, you can interpret the "correct" with some degree of comfort but it is hard to be sure what is going on with the "incorrect."
In non-EV settings, we are unlikely to get at the motives and goals
organizing the subjects -- the whole task -- since the division of labor
with the tester can fudge this beyond observation, recognition, and
testimony.
And, what you see in the one may not be the "whole" you need or the
interpretation you build may not be the only possible one or the better one. When your training is non-EV (or vice-versa), transfer or generalization is
not as simple as folks once thought.

So EV research is about the following sorts of explorations:
What can you learn about a theory or an aspect of a theory if you find it
"in the wild."
How are its properties and processes different in more naturally occurring
events?
Do the results of the search and the outcome of more "ecologically valid" experiments cast doubt on or fortify the theory or different versions of the
theory?

So, the post I referenced suggested to me that the blocks experiment might have an "in the wild" version when the leading activity is trade or capital consumerism. (Sakharov's telling the subjects the task is about names of toys of children far away -- that could be a way to try for a play leading
activity ...?)

What happens if analogue experiments to the blocks one are built and they
include work (as trade or capital consumerism) as a leading activity?
Will it cast new light on the issues about concepts and how they are grown
and how they differ and how they are used?

Suppose people get "trained up" on the trade/consumerism instance then you
give them "transfer triggers" and then give them the blocks.
How do they do on the blocks after this "priming?"

Do the strategies differ for blocks solvers and consumer solvers?

Do the successful folks in one version differ from those successful in
another version based on individual, group, development, or socio- cultural
aspects of their life experience?

Then, do any of the outcomes help with how you theorize, how you interpret others' theories, and how you practically work for success for more people
in a more just world?

I think it was the man I referenced, D'Andrade, who likened his work to doing geology in the midst of a rock slide. (Mike will know who originated
this analogy.)
Ecological validity is a little niche to jump into and keep our heads about
us for a bit.
PG