RE: [xmca] Types of Generalization: concepts and pseudoconcepts and things to yell at me about

Dear Andy (and Steve and Peg)

This is a mega-quick response because although I'd also need to Google
things to find out what Peg is referring to, I've got this ongoing date with
Davydov...

As you say, Andy, the blocks activity did need to limit the reliance on
prior experience so that the concepts cev, bik, mur, and lag could be
constructed out of relatively simple, accessible ones for all ages.  But I
don't follow you all of the way that this is an activity in "isolation" from
"meaningful life experience" in "sensuous content" terms.  They might be dry
dusty geometric blocks, but I believe there are several reasons for our
differences of opinion here:

One
Your view that the activity is isolated from "meaningful life experience"
doesn't seem to take into account the way the blocks activity is introduced
to subjects: it is done so in a way that presents them with words which mean
nothing at the start, and what they do in the process of solving the problem
of the blocks is to ascend from the abstract to the concrete in finding out
what the words cev, bik, mur, and lag mean.  You don't have to be a
mathematician to do this - you think out aloud about things, you try them
out, and you follow the clues of the words: this word part is crucial, it is
central to the procedure as a whole, and the ways in which subjects react to
and make use of these words is what this ""testing" rationale" was designed
to reveal.

Two
Andy, another reason behind why I think we disagree is this: it is one thing
to read about what the solution to the blocks activity is, and quite another
to find it out for oneself or to watch other people doing it.  I do suspect,
though I can't be sure, that you met the blocks on paper before you met them
in person - am I right in this? It's just that, in my experience, it seems
that people find it easier to discount the blocks as nothing special really
or so what? when they read about them because everything is so deceptively
simple on paper.  As Steve said yesterday in what I think is a perfectly
marvellous analysis of the blocks activity, they are really very cool - and
that they are not primarily about taxonomy or categorisation or logical
thinking (although the form and content of these are undeniable).  It's
about turning the pyramid of concepts upside down and not just a question of
stating the obvious in logical terms.

One other thing about "Oh, so it's not colour then" is that a person's
reaction to the "moment of correction" - or to the fact that they have noted
that there are five triangles and so sorting by one-shape-per-group is not
possible and then, in the very next series of moves, they go on to trying to
sort the blocks by starting with one trapezoid per group (there are four) -
is indicative of what Hanfmann & Kasanin term "appreciation for the
totality".  And granted, this activity and appreciation for its totality is
about mathematical material and numbers and logic, yet what transcends and
transforms the activity are the words and the meaning that they have.  It is
really about the meaning of words - not just solving a problem.  And it is
also here that I think the original author Sakharov was bang on the money
because he introduced the game to children as belonging to children from a
foreign country where the words mean something in those children's language,
and this is where Hanfmann & Kasanin present this word meaning aspect more
obliquely.  They do note word meaning but not as clearly or as upfront as
toys from the North Pole.

I think what I'm attempting here is to say that if we overlook the
meaning-making aspect of this activity we turn it into lead.

I can see that I need to deal with this in greater depth and with more
rigour - but does this give you something to yell at me about for now?

Take care.
Paula