From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Friday, 4 September 2009 12:01 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Project Based Learning

xmca-ers, I sent the same message about project based
learning to a friend here in Melbourne who gave me such a
comprehensive answer, I thought I should share it:
-------------------------------------
Dear Andy,

Project-based learning (PBL) is what you are, of course,
referring to. With an array of pedagogical origins extending
back many centuries (well, further, of course, in a
philosophical sense) and passing through numerous iterations
(including Dewey and the school of American pragmatism), the
espoused theory of PBL has been less nuanced than its richer
practice which invariably blends with other (even
oppositional) teaching strategies and methods.

*A critique of PBL and other minimal guidance approaches*

Minimal guidance techniques whereby learners discover or
'construct' essential information (including project-based
learning, discovery learning, problem-based learning,
inquiry learning, experiential learning and constructivist
learning) can constitute an inefficient and ineffectual way
to teach and learn. After at least 50 years of advocacy
associated with instruction using minimal guidance, there is
still no solid body of research supporting such techniques.
Not only is unguided instruction normally less effective,
there is also evidence that it may have negative results
when students acquire misconceptions or incomplete or
disorganised knowledge.

Cognitive load theory (Paul A. Kirschner, John Sweller, and
Richard E. Clark in their above critique of minimal
guidance) suggests that the free exploration of a complex
environment may generate a heavy working memory load that is
detrimental to students' more strategic and sharply focused
learning. As learning, by definition, means a change in
long-term memory, the problem with minimal guidance is that
the load on working memory makes it difficult for long-term
learning.

Students' working memory is thus burdened by requiring them
to sort through irrelevant information while locating
information that is relevant (a problem compounded, of
course, by the Net and superficial fact-gathering). And
working memory cannot be used efficiently to commit relevant
information to long-term memory if assessing the relevance
of material. Indeed, it is possible to search or work on
projects for extended periods of time with quite minimal
alterations to long-term memory.

*A criticism of this critique - steps toward a synthesis*

The main criticism is that critiques of PBL, etc. *do not
adequately bring to the fore the need to move beyond the old
antithetical either-or* *of teacher-centred didactic
instruction _versus_ student-centred learning*. There is
obviously always the danger of glorifying one end of the
educational spectrum and casting the other end into total
darkness. As suggested by terms such as 'guided discovery',
elements of both instructional guidance and inquiry-based
learning are not mutually exclusive.

This blend of the best elements of what are often presented
as clear-cut alternatives is, of course, consistent with the
work of educators who seek to progress a 21st century
teaching and learning practice, founded on a more intimate,
complex, dialectical interplay of *both* students'
independent inquiry, problem-solving and practical project
work *and* increased depth of students' knowledge and
understanding of concepts, facts, laws, principles and
theories, as imparted by teachers.

Long developed by many teachers in practice (even if their
espoused, 'pure' theories contradict this), this dialectical
interplay is obviously at the basis of techniques such as
scaffolding, cognitive apprenticeships and Vygotsky's zone
of proximal development. Important, of course, to teaching
in the ZPD (as "the distance between the actual
developmental level, as determined by independent problem
solving, and the level of potential development as
determined through problem solving under adult guidance, or
in collaboration with more capable peers") is the precise
determination of what the student can really manage and
develop on his or her own. But this, in turn, obviously
depends on the guided instruction of a teacher or a more
knowledgeable peer or new, data-rich kinds of
technology-assisted collaborative learning.

*Beyond the old dualisms in education*

This educational practice is obviously quite distinct from
the two hitherto dominant and contrasting paradigms of
overly-didactic instruction _versus_ constructivist
inquiry-based learning. It is thus not inquiry-based
learning or PBL _per se_ (all of which contain useful
insights into how best to engage and motivate many students)
but rather the persistence of false dichotomies in education
that is the problem to be resolved, notwithstanding the many
instances of creative synthesis.

Educational theory and practice has, of course, long been
bedeviled by false dualisms. (*This is _partly_ an Anglo
problem, of course - but this cultural and linguistic
question is another issue altogether*). Anyway, these
dualisms are also out of sync with most students who would
benefit greatly from an education system and from schools
that did not pose practical activities, projects and meaning
against abstract and theoretical studies but instead more
systematically and creatively combined new forms of
practical project work and independent inquiry and even
greater depth of scientific and philosophical knowledge and
understanding.

Hope that this is of use!

Cheers,
-Nic (nicholas.abbey@optusnet.com.au)
0402 152 634

*As for the technique of PBL, have a look at:*

.         Mitchell, S., Foulger, T. S., & Wetzel, K.,
Rathkey, C. (February, 2009). The negotiated project
approach: Project-based learning without leaving the
standards behind. Early Childhood Education Journal, 36(4),
339-346. Available at
http://www.springerlink.com/content/c73q57211024x727/fulltext.html

.         Boss, S., & Krauss, J. (2007). _Reinventing
project-based learning: Your field guide to real-world
projects in the digital age._ Eugene, OR: International
Society for Technology in Education.

.         And from
http://download.intel.com/education/Common/au/Resources/DEP/projectdesign/DEP_pbl_research.pdf
one or more of the following may be of interest:
* *
*Resources and research*

*Autodesk Foundation
*http://web.archive.org/web/20030812124529/www.k12reform.org/foundation/pbl/research/*
In a comprehensive synthesis, John W. Thomas, Ph.D.,
examines the research base for project-based learning.
*Buck Institute for Education *http://www.bie.org  Buck
Institute offers training and a handbook to guide middle
school and high school teachers in incorporating
project-based learning into the curriculum. The Web site
also includes resources and research on PBL effectiveness.
*George Lucas Educational Foundation *www.edutopia.org* GLEF
provides a summary of project-based learning research, along
with a gallery of project examples (in print and video
versions).
*The Multimedia Project: Project-Based Learning with
Multimedia *http://pblmm.k12.ca.us/PBLGuide/MMrubric.htm*
Challenge 2000 Multimedia Project, federally funded project
which ran from 1996-2001, is described in detail and
explained in the larger context of a systemic school reform
initiative in Silicon Valley. Site includes array of
resources, including implementation strategies,
award-winning project examples, and evaluation published by
SRI.
*National Foundation for the Improvement of Education
*http://www.nfie.org/publications/ctb5.pdf* Connecting the
Bits (2000) includes a chapter on "Project-Based Learning
and Information Technologies."
*The Project Approach *http://www.project-approach.com*
Maintained by Sylvia Chard, professor at University of
Alberta and co-author of Engaging Children's Minds: The
Project Approach (2000).
* *