Re: Heidegger RE: [xmca] When does an action begin and end?

Monica--- Problems of the development of mind. Progress. 1981 and maybe on
marxists.org.

Not sure what Andy was after, David. You may be correct to relate it to
operation.action.activity.

Tony/David and anyone:   Is the word, consciousness, being used consistently
across examples here? I fear not, but am unsure.
mike

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Tony Whitson <twhitson@udel.edu> wrote:

> Is it useful to think of this as an example of Heidegger re: using tools
> without actively thinking about them until they break down or something?
>
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Monica Hansen wrote:
>
>  David:
>>
>> You wrote:
>>
>> And on p. 237 we have an unmitigated disaster, when this passable model of
>> a physical skill is used to produce a theory of reading in which
>> consciousness has no part in the recognition of text.
>>
>> ÿÿWhen a person is reading, for example, it seems to him that both the
>> ideas expressed in the book and the outward graphic form of their
>> expression, i.e. the text itself are recognized identically-both the one and
>> the other. In fact, however, that is not wholly so; in fact only the ideas
>> and their expression are presented in consciousness and the outward aspect
>> of the text may only seem to be conscious, as it usually is when there are
>> omissions, crude typographical errors, etc.ÿÿ
>>
>> I have two questions, please:
>>
>> 1.) What Leontiev are you reading? You give page numbers, but I don't know
>> the original source. (Haven't even started that yet, but apparently need
>> to...)
>>
>> 2.) What do you mean in this comment? Can you expand? It looks to me like
>> he is not suggesting that consciousness has no part in text recognition, but
>> that the reader is usually unaware of the part of the process that is not
>> conscious.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Monica

>>> etc. And then I realized that Vygotsky's conception seems to be very