[xmca] Wolves in Sheep's Clothing - Grave Concern about the Structure

Dear David

I'm extremely concerned that I've created the impression - or at least have
at any stage said - that "the pseudoconcept is STRUCTURALLY equivalent to
the concept" or "that concepts and pseudoconcepts are STRUCTURALLY
equivalent".

And it wouldn't be "not quite correct" - it would be downright wrong for me
or anyone else to say so!

So, I've looked at the paper, and what seems to be a very important word
that's been overlooked is this one: "functional".

What I do say in the paper (and here I've taken to using your method of
emphasis, David - all caps - which works for plain text emails and not
because I'm being cocky, okay?) is:

?The FUNCTIONAL equivalence of pseudoconcepts in role and structure led
Vygotsky to call them wolves in sheep?s clothing, and it would appear that
many a shepherd of today is unsuspecting of such lupine behaviour.?

?The FUNCTIONAL equivalence in the structure and the FUNCTIONAL equivalence
in the role of the pseudoconcept enable communication between children and
adults, AND IT IS THIS [functional] EQUIVALENCE THAT DISGUISES THE
PSEUDOCONCEPT?S TRUE NATURE.?

This means that a FUNCTION is taking place: the FUNCTION is to attempt to
look like a sheep; it is using sheep?s clothing (structure) to make you
think (role) it is one (a sheep).   It?s grabbed the accoutrements of what
it thinks is a concept ? the sheep?s clothing, the superficial structure of
the sheep ? because it wants to look like one; it wants the clothes to serve
the role of making the structure look the same ? and it does but only from
the outside and from a distance.  Closer inspection reveals its wolfish
nature underneath;  its fey fickleness.

So, what is apparently equivalent is only apparently equivalent precisely
because a scam is afoot.  We're being fooled by a functional equivalence,
one that acts in a way that wants you to think it's the same.

So, this is not, as you say I say, that it is ?STRUCTURALLY equivalent to a
concept?.  It has a job, a function, which makes it superficially resemble a
concept ? that?s why it?s a wolf in sheep?s clothing.

So then, what we have is externally similar in the way it wants to be looked
at, but internally we know it is very different ? that it is still a
complex.  The equivalence is in FUNCTIONAL TERMS - because of the way the
pseudoconcept functions.

For my own peace of mind, I?ve cut&pasted some things here:

?...in the pseudoconcept, we have a complex that is the FUNCTIONAL
equivalent of the concept.  This complex and the concept are the equivalent
in FUNCTIONAL terms in that we notice no difference in them in the speech
interaction and mutual understanding between the adult and child.
Thus, we have a complex which corresponds for all PRACTICAL purposes with
the concept, which includes the same group of concrete objects as the
concept.  We have a shadow of the concept, one that reproduces its contours.
Yet, this complex is a form of generalisation that is constructed in
accordance with entirely different laws than the true concept.?
(Minick, p. 144)

 ?Pseudoconcepts have a phenotypical resemblance to true concepts because
the content of both
can be identical: However, the crucial difference is to be found in the
method of selecting these
contents.?
(Wolves, p. 235)

?Phenotypically, on the basis of its external appearance and external
characteristics, the pseudoconcept corresponds completely to the concept.
However, genotypically, in accordance with its emergence, its development,
and the causal-dynamic connections which underlie it, the pseudoconcept is
clearly not a concept.  Externally, we see a concept ? internally a
complex.?
(Minick, p. 142)

>From Monday?s post (3 August)

I suspect that "lupine behaviour" can't easily be separated from the
"sheep's clothing" because pseudoconcepts SUPERFICIALLY RESEMBLE "real"
concepts in both role (what the word meaning does) and structure (how it's
put together).

David, you and I do agree on this:  Pseudoconcepts and concepts have a
FUNCTIONAL equivalence in role - enabling communication - and a FUNCTIONAL
equivalence in structure - which most certainly DOES NOT EQUATE TO A SIMILAR
STRUCTURE, but to a structure which apparently functions in a way which
makes it look like a conceptual structure.  The dreams are very different
indeed - even from heads on the same pillow.  Concepts and pseudoconcepts
deal with similar contents, but in different ways, because pseudoconcepts
put things together according to different rules.  THE STRUCTURES ARE VERY
DIFFERENT - and yet, because meanings in the words around children have been
established by the adults around them, the germinating seed of the
concept-for-myself is contained within the concept-for-others and in-itself,
just waiting for it to be grasped and mastered.

>From my thesis
?The pseudoconcept is a bridge between thinking in complexes and the final
stage before true conceptual thinking.  The type of generalisation that
forms a pseudoconcept is still essentially a complex even though a
pseudoconcept looks very much like a true concept ? there is a phenotypical
resemblance.  The kind of causal-dynamic relationships that form a
pseudoconcept are in essence different to the types of relationships that
give rise to true concepts.?  (p. 27)

Do this help?  I do hope so, David - but please let me know if there's still
a doubt in your mind because I haven't been clear enough.

Best regards
Paula