From: Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Consciousness
To: "David Kellogg" <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Culture ActivityeXtended Mind" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date: Monday, June 22, 2009, 3:45 PM

I'll work through this more carefully david, but when Zinchenko refers to
carpet bombing in relation to fabric/tissue seems like
he means fabric. Similarly, when babelfish translates tkan' as fabric, its
hard for me to argue.

In posting the Vygotsky quote from the trio of articles I was not making a
back handed argument or any argument at all,
just trying to fill in with some translating (without looking at your
translation from Seve or Meccaci) of my own in hopes it
would help you, ugh, triangulate. And when I pointed to the section from the
article what had originally caught my attention
was his insistence that the triangular relation was not a string of
reflexes, but a new structure, such that specifically human
psych functions are emergent properties of that structure and had not/have
not carefully considered the issue of the ordering
of elements into structure and visa versa that you were focused on.

Sorry if this turned out to be a distraction. You know my view: Its up to us
to come to our conclusions based on what we
can figure out now in 2009 given our life experiences and interpretations of
what others have written, and then test them
against some problem that confronts us.  Is tissue a better tool than
fabric. Depends upon what sort of story you are trying
to weave or what sort of scab you hope will form to stop the flow of blood.

UC is stopping paying N days a year but not easing up on the workload!! now
its grad student exam reading time.
sigh

mike