Re: [xmca] ning

Other than the instructor and administrator, I think I would call this "almost totally encapsulated," Mike. There are NING folks that were our back up when we had problems, for example, who had access to the site. Is this what you are referring to in relation to IRB?

One issue that did surface was that teacher candidates wanted to post videos of themselves working with small groups of students or teaching. Sometimes these videos were made in school, and the teacher education office consents had already been negotiated. The camera is supposed to remain on the teacher candidate. Other times, the videos were made more informally in after school programs and tutoring groups. We decided not to allow this, simply because we couldn't control how the videos were created. We knew that the videos created with consent would be included in e-portfolios that teacher candidates were allowed to share publicly later. We did allow them to share videos of themselves, the more social, community building side of this process. Not everyone did, but some students did.

Overall, the teacher candidates managed themselves well, and considered this to be a professional site for social networking. I was surprised, however, when a teacher candidate used a photo taken of a woman's back, bathing suit on, on a nude beach of a male nude in the distance as her icon (I think the student was female, I can't quite remember). I asked that it be removed asap, and it was.

Perhaps, more of an issue are the issues of etiquette and respect as well. There is potential for inappropriate comments, bullying even, I am sure. So far we haven't found any instances of these other than the photo I mentioned.

Let me know what you think. Have other folks met with any issues around IRB or etiquette?

Best - jennifer

I can see the educational uses for college courses which are not the object
of research. I am raising the question about use of purposes of research
because this is where IRB issues arise. We have been avoiding googlegroups,
facebook, etc., for IRB reasons. Glynda Hull's use of a special
facebook-like medium that is totally incapsulated is a response to these
concerns. They may not be a problem in many places or for many purposes. i
am being cautious.
mike

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Jennifer Vadeboncoeur <