Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

I am currently reading article by Fuson suggestion by Anna Sfard on whole
number operations. I also need to study Anna's paper with exactly this
example in it. Not sure what moment of despair at deeper understanding hit
me. Now that I am done teaching and have a whole day to communicate things
are looking up!! Apologies for doubting I could have deep understanding of
why minus x minus = plus and minus x plus = minus. At present my
understanding remains somewhat bifurcated. The former is negation of a
negation as david kel long ago suggested, linking his suggestion to Anna's
comognition
approach. The second I think more of in terms of number line and
multiplication as repeated addition.
Perhaps the two will coalesce under your combined tutelage.
mike

And member book links are coming in. Nice.
mike