RE: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Dear Jay and Mike and everybody--

Conditionally, Jay, I like Mike's statement as well,

> > It
> > is the
> > heterogeneity within the "two parts" and leakage between them and
> > their
> > relations to "their context" that IS life.

but only conditionally. There are situations when this statement is deadly
but binary logic is on the side of life. I remember a famous allegoric
statement from Russian novel "Master and Margarita" by Michael Bulgakov. In
short, in the novel's plot, the Devil visited Stalinist Russia (Moscow to be
exact) in the 1930s during the Stalinist worst purges. Among other things
the Devil visited a theater to make familiar with New Soviet people. In
theater buffet, the Devil noticed rotten fish with the label, "Fish of the
third [degree] freshness." The Devil told the buffet salesperson, "Dear
salesperson, somebody has lied to you. There is no such thing as 'fish of
the third-degree freshness. Fish can be only one degree of freshness: either
it is fresh or not. Respectful, your fish is not fresh, it stinks." This
short exchange revealed the deception of Stalinist "leakage" of two parts
(namely, life and death). The binary logic presented by the Devil here was
on the side of life, while non-binary Stalinist discourse of making 'white'
black and 'black' white (that at that time often referred as 'dialectics')
was on the side of death.

I think we might be careful in indorsing any universal statements even when
they can be true, on average (in our sociocultural conditions). We should be
also careful with our fight against scientific positivism that has
historically emerged in response to (religious) totalitarian ideology of
manipulative "leakages". After the Bush administration reign, I have become
even more careful about dissing positivistic science.... (By the way, the
Bush administration used discourses that were convincingly based on both the
binary logic and at the same time on the manipulative "leakages", like, for
example, torture becomes not torture but rather a permissible grey area of
an "intense interrogation technique"). Binary logic can bring life
sometimes, indeed....

What do you think?

Eugene

database 4049 (20090501) __________