RE: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Dear Mike and everybody—

You wrote, “another example of binary logic which is anti-human”. I wonder what makes this logic anti-human is not necessary that it is binary, but maybe the fact that it strives to be the universal, unconditional, disembodied, and decontextualized. I think that limited and situated binary relations can be humane. As you nicely put it before, the universal answer to any problem is, “it depends” ;-) The big problem, of course, what it depends on… (I always say to my grad students that the answer for the latter question will be addressed in a future Advanced Grad Sociocultural Seminar that I never teach J)

Да-да (da-da) is a good translation from Mogenbesser’s Jewish English, “Yeah, yeah” in Russian. As you, probably, know, Russian is very intonation-based language – almost any word might have the opposite meaning with the right intonation. Like for example, “Have you my taken my book?” “I need your book badly!” (“Ты не брал мою книгу?» -- «Очень мне нужна твоя книга!») – it is difficult to translate this Russian exchange into English because the response has the intonation indicating the opposite meaning that its formal semantics suggests. One Russian (Soviet) poet commented that Russian language does not support «донос» (i.e., report to a secret police).

Ed made an interesting and thought-provoking point, “Social relations don't give rise to mathematics, but mathematics seems to give, perspectivally, a rise to social relations.” I think that in general, it is a chicken-egg problem but I suspect that social relations have priority over math. So, Ed, we have a respectful disagreement, indeed. The reason for my suspicion is that usually, although not always, social relations have a priority over everything else. For example, it seems that historical emergency of geometry was a result of a certain development of private property on land and conflicts associated with it. Certain (but not all!) mathematical questions could emerge only within certain social relations. One of these vivid examples can be mathematical division. I’m always amazed how difficult for Western kids to understand fractional division leading to a number bigger that divided. For example, 2 divided by ½ becomes 4. Western understanding of fair sharing almost exclusively as splitting the whole on equal but smaller parts (private property) makes very difficult to consider a possibility for collective sharing in which the more people share the more value the whole has. We have a PIG Lab of Internationally Recognize Excellence – the more people use it, the more valuable it becomes (to a point of course, ;-). By collective sharing, ten PIGgies virtually have 10 labs! Or 1 divided on 1/10 is 10. I think this fractional division reflects collective sharing (and collective fairness) in contrast to whole number division based on private property sharing (and private property fairness). It is interesting to study this question empirically….

What do you think?

Eugene

PS I know that everyone in this XMCA discussion who replies to my messages gets bounced message from the PIG email list (no connection to the swine flu!). I try to resend your messages to the my PIGgy colleagues.

---------------------

Eugene Matusov, Ph.D.

Professor of Education

School of Education