Re: [xmca] In what sense(s) is mathematics a social construction.?

We probably did all start off as closet Euclideans, Valerie, because the kind of manipulations of things in space we were capable to doing or being interested in as children were the same as those which Euclid knew about.

It is a wonderful thing as you go through a mathematical education, how your notion of space goes through a number of transformations. A year or two after you learn Euclidean geometry (180deg in a triangle etc) you learn Cartesian geometry (x and y coordinates like an artilleryman uses) and then you learn vectors (like an electronic engineer uses) and then you learn Riemann's space (like cosmologists use) and after that 'space' has lost all connotations of geography.

When I started engineering we were all given a series of difficult solid geometry problems to solve. A year later, the teacher gave us the same problems, but in the meantime we had all learnt vector algebra. We were all amazed. The same problems took a few seconds each. It was a great demonstration to us of the value of such abstract mathematics.

"A mathematician is someone will spend hours to save a minute."

Andy

Valerie Wilkinson wrote:
Hi, everyone.
Can I say something naive in three lines that will make any difference? Let's see.
Platonic? What is Platonic after Godel proved "incompleteness"?
Here is a book by Lakoff/Nunez _Where Mathematics Comes From_ which posits a mind in a body which has such things as symmetry and development and ten fingers. Then the whole gestalt thing giving rise to Polanyi and tacit knowledge - and Vygotsky's internalization...
To chime in on the most amazing and wonderful discussion I've seen in eons,
so much depends on the starting point and how you build from there.
(Weren't many of us likely to be Euclidean in our early mathematical habits?)
Well, we need something like a system,
even if we know it isn't THE system and never will be; otherwise we have mush.
The trick is we all do really have systems and epistemologies and all that,
we just don't know that we do, let alone how to talk about it articulately (well some of us can).
We don't know what we know, and when someone comes up with 0 (zero),
gives a name to nothing - wow. Far exceeded my three lines.
Valerie Wilkinson