[xmca] In what sense(s) is mathematics a social construction.?

Ed,
I have fretted over this question of whether mathematics is a science of something objective (if so what) or is 'just' a social construction ever since I studied Goedel's famous proof 43 years ago. Answers to this question tend to tell us more about the speaker than the problem I think. But my current thought would be this:

All the natural sciences have an object which exists independently of human thought and activity, but all the sciences also create concepts and artefacts and forms of activity which are peculiar to human life. THis is as true of mathematics as it is of physics and chemistry.

This does not contradict the fact that mathematics is a social construction. It is a social construction twice over inasmuch as its objects are already artefacts which are themselves tools. But that in no way leads to any kind of arbitrariness in its conclusions and discoveries (as opposed to inventions). But the artefacts we create in order to explore this trange domain of Nature are artefacts, and as someone earlier said, the element of agency persists. Newton and Leibniz's simultaneous discovery (sic) and formulation of the Calculus kind of proves this.

Andy

Ed Wall wrote:
Actually, I was wondering just the opposite of

The issue for me is why the Western civilization prioritizes (and then
mathematizes) social relations described in the Arabic wisdom.

If I look at a number of the intriguing 'rationalizations' Mike's question generated, I seem to see a tendency to, in a sense, almost anthropomorphize mathematics (hope that makes sense as I don't quite know what the right word is). Social relations don't give rise to mathematics, but mathematics seems to give, perspectivally, a rise to social relations. In fact the West goes a step further in prioritizing the digital over the analogue as your example shows. A number of people have taken this 'mathematizing' (which goes far beyond the problematic of double negations) up in recent years. I think recently of Michael Eldred and Stuart Eden (and, of corse, there is Heidegger and Lachterman among others) and Aristotle is very important in this regard as he is deals with similar questions as regards 'real' and mathematics. It is possibly worth wondering how the Arabs were contaminated by all this as they were a major transmitter of Greek mathematics to the West and elsewhere.

Ed Wall