Re: [xmca] a minus times a plus

not sure if "Western civilization prioritizes (and then
mathematizes) social relations described in the Arabic wisdom"
is a fair statement.  but mathematical models are just models,
and do not absolve the user of the need to think critically.

now i get sceptical even of my own example of -2 × -3.  in
real life (esp. in places that do not practice Islamic banking
or follow the Tanakh / Old Testament prohibition on usury),
when you borrow money, banks charge you interest.  [hmmmm ...
this sounds like a huge part of the "civilized world".]  so
-2 × -3  may not be a good way to cancel a debt incurred by
borrowing $3 two times (2 × -3).  the funny thing i never
understand is: when you are in trouble, the banks do not bail
you out.  they slap you with more interest charges, late-payment
penalties, lawsuits, eviction notices, ... etc.  but when the
banks are in trouble, you bail them out.

i'm pretty sure _this_ aspect of "math" is _merely_ socially
constructed.

F.K.