RE: [xmca] a minus times a plus

Interesting question, Mike!

Hans Freudenthal used the James Hasty method to explain the negative times
negative:
4 * -5 = -20
3 * -5 = -15
2 * -5 = -10
1 * -5 = -5
0 * -5 = 0
-1 * -5 = 5
-2 * -5 = 10
-3 * -5 = 15

On -(-5)=5:
In the Dutch math textbooks there is a 'story' about a witch that puts small
ice cubes into and out of a bucket of water. If she puts one cube into the
water, the temperature goes down by one degree: 8+ (-1) = 7. So if she takes
one ice cube out of the water, the temperature rises: 7 -(-1)=8.
Children aged about 11-13 generally get the idea, and many teachers use it,
but as you can imagine, real mathematicians and physicists dislike it:
physically it is such non-sense.

Arthur