Re: [xmca] A Flock of Already Roasted Pigeons

Hello SNUE

I am sympathetic to the conceptual moves you are promoting in the note
below, but as so often happens, especially when is an autodidact in such
matters, as I am certainly, in the ideas of LSV and language, answers keep
begeting questions.

So here are a couple of more.

1. Can we move beyond "instructed" concepts to "social-institutionally
arranged for concepts?" I ask because it seems to me that the broader
category (not sure how broad it is and intuit that it needs delimiting),
ought to cover cases such as those illustrated by the work of Ed Hutchins
on Trobriand discourse, Max Gluckman on law in traditional African
societies, and other such cases. Easy access to the Trobriand example
is at http://lchc.ucsd.edu/Histarch/fe79v1n2.PDF

2. I am puzzling over the senses in which it is true that "Concepts do not
"exist" as objects, and yet scientific language in English tends to treat
them as such."  Not so in Russian? English does seems real good at
entification and turning processes into things, but I am again intuiting,
with very limited
knowledge of a few other languages, that it is not unique in this respect.

3. And then there is the case of a unicorn. There are a lot of aspects of
that poem that I find intriguing. Just one is that if I ask a class of, say,
300 undergraduates if they have every encountered a unicorn, at first no one
will to admit to having seen one. Then I ask them to vote on the following
question by raising their hands: "If you had to guess, would you consider a
unicorn good or bad." 99.99% raise vote for good. Hmmmm, they know if its
good or bad, but have never encountered one. And, after some discussion they
get around to acknowledging that many have in fact encountered, in some
materialized, "objectified" form, a unicorn.

I am among this naive majority.

Ditto with respect to Wizards, very important entities in my life and not as
non-existent concepts.

I know there are lots of different questions in these ruminations and now I
have to turn to the serious business of pretending to be an educator
(another
concept with very difficulty to pin down objects!), it being Sunday, when I
get to work "on my own." Efforts at enlightenment, including reprints,
warmly accepted!

mike