Re: [xmca] Internalization of performance standards

A humble empirical observation from Carol:

In recent work with a student on promoting the zpd in the English classroom,
in an ideal situation (only 20 girls in the class) and explicitly using the
concept of the double move (Hedegaard), and the group zpd (H and also
Wells). Granted this research was only 6 months in length,  the girls'
performance was radically affected for the better, including their
motivation and pride.  *However the ranking of *t*heir **competence (sorry
that's my term) in the class stayed exactly the same as had surfaced with
regular pedagogy. *I like (to help students) to work with broad and narrow
zpd's (and teach usinga crocodile jaws picture), and must surely say that in
this research context, that the relative width of the learners' zpd is
preserved in the analysis of the classes' peformance. What does this mean
for a single student...does it mean that she is *only* able to *conceptualise
the task to a previously established limit? *Sure, the groups did better
than any individual (Gordon's notion), but laying underneath there seems to
be a limiting condition. I think this speaks to internalization, but with
"terms and conditions" attached.  I do  hope I have made myself clear. I
certainly get slightly anxious about the situation, or more aptly my lack of
ability to explain this in another way.

C.

PS. NCLB is in our SA curriculum, and it's so naive about learning that it's
not worth discussing.

Visiting Researcher,
Wits School of Education
6 Andover Road