Re: [xmca] Hedegaard article

Thanks, Phillip, esp. for the Foucault quote (from a book I've not seen) as well as for the challenge about how challenging a more holistic approach to development has to be.

Sorting it all out, though, is not for me the priority. It's putting it all together, seeing the interconnections, even if never all of them.

So "good design" is a marker, an index ... but of what? for Deva, and perhaps differently for you? We need to hope for some informationn about its distribution, where she's heard it used, where she may have used it before or decide to use it again, and how that distribution changes. The reciprocity here might come in that by using it she prompts a reaction from you (as her brother's use of "bunny" did), and so evokes a speech activity, a tyoe of typcial social drama, in which some meta-linguistic work is done. An event occurs, institutional norms (of usage, of appropriateness) are evoked and displayed, that would not if she'd not said that, or brother not said "bunny" in that context. So the context is produced by the word usage, not as a new scene-type, but as an event in Deva's and her brother's life. They world presents itself to us, zone of proximal development are socially activated, by our own actions -- a little loop, extending over time and across places and sites and scenes.

We call it an ox, he called it a "bunny" ... but what's a "bunny" for him? a mammal? something animal, brown, with big eyes? Early semantics don't yet conform to adult norms, which doesn't mean that he can't see the difference between a bunny and an ox, but that "bunny" is a reasonable first try at a word for the situation, for him. And on the plus side, getting him to call it a cow makes him more understandable probably to other adults, but one could also say that it's oppressing his linguistic creativity and forcing him to conform. At this stage that sounds extreme of course, but the same argument occurs over whether African-American kids should be forced to write in school only in someone else's dialect of English and not in their own, which really does oppress their linguistic creativity, whatever other "advantages" if might confer.

And what if a young kid, say age 8 or so, insists on writing in his own dialect because what he wants to say doesn't "work" for him in standard English (and semantically there are some basic meanings for which AAE has much better resources than SE), or at 12 years, insists as a matter of pride and identity? these will evoke responses from adults in the school, which in turn will depend on laws, curricula, norms of education, etc. And by evoking those responses, but making a confrontation, perhaps, happen, by even (if less likely) getting a widespread dialogue going about the issue, changes in the practices of teachers, and possibly even in norms and laws can happen. Which they would be much less likely to do if all students just did as they were told. The influences are going "up" and "down", loops can return mediated by all sorts of pathways and actors: a teacher talks to a visitor from the university who is supervising a student teacher and gets a different view of the norm and the issue; parents get involved and invoke the writing of African-American intellectuals about Ebonics. A parent whose child was caught up in the confrontation develops a discourse about language and identity from it and becomes that intellectual writing in new ways about dialect and race.

So I think the complexity is enriching of our understanding, not an obstacle to it. It is not like positivist research where you have to isolate each causal factor. It is more like ethnography where you have to discover what's involved and how it's all connected .... or as much of it as you can see and figure out, with the help of people who live it.

"Sorting out" is meant figuratively: figuring out, working out elements and connections; not in the sense of separating one factor from another. The separationist paradigm serves the end of control, and, thank God, these orders of complexity are NOT ones we can control, or should. Which is perhaps what Foucault means in sketching how education and adult fantasy worlds for children are oversimplified universes where the fantasy of control, for worried adults, is more easily imagined. Of course these fantasy worlds are themselves part of the networks of interdependencies, hence the conflicts and contradictions they evoke, on the longer timescale, when the child comes close enough to the adult world to wonder why adults keep pretending to be so stupid.

The methodologies for putting together rather than taking apart are differently grounded in what humans can do. They rely more on our pattern recognition abilities, on our empathic capacities, on our ability to hypothesize meanings from almost any combination of things or events, on our abilities to interpret scenes and media, to anticipate possible sequelae, and a host of others. It's really a shame that 20th century philosophers spent millions of man-hours trying to analyze the grounds of taking-apart style investigation, leaving us with almost no systematic understanding of what makes putting-together style research work well. But, difficult as it is, it can be done!

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
Educational Studies