Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's Plural Discourse!!

Excellent questions and considerations, Haydi. Asking and thinking about these questions as you are is very helpful.

Is there, in principle, such a thing as activity theory in Vygotsky's work? Where? Did Vygotsky's theory of semiotic mediation depart from an activity theory perspective in Thinking and Speech (and perhaps other works in his last years, 1932-1934)? Does Vygotsky's theory of semiotic mediation postulate the supremacy of sign over action?

Btw, am I reading from your remarks correctly, that I sounded to you annoyed with Jussi's paper? My apologies for that. I worried if I might have come across a little too argumentatively toward Jussi. I will pay better attention to my manners. I do, as do you, welcome and appreciate Jussi's excellent work putting together a fine paper. Scholarship can sometimes feel like a thankless task, and I certainly do not want to contribute to that feeling. I hope Jussi joins this discussion, and he is certainly welcome to argue back! I for one am open to the possibility that he has arguments and evidence that will sway me to think differently. I know I learned from this paper and from other things he has written, and I look forward to reading more of Jussi. There are a lot of things I like about the way he approaches these difficult questions of theory and history in CHAT.

As for Vygotsky and activity theory ... to my knowledge, Vygotsky himself did not formulate an activity theory. That contribution, as many know, came out of the Kharkov School led by ANL in the 1930's. As I understand it, activity theory developed in several directions in the USSR, and migrated to other countries, where there are still more forms it has taken, some very different. I would like to learn more about these different directions. Is there an article tracing this history? The one led by AN Leontiev, of course, continued to embrace Vygotsky's work, and it is the version that gets studied as part of CHAT today. At the same time, there has been a continuing discussion and debate within CHAT, and between followers of Vygotsky and of AN Leontiev, over how compatible activity theory and sign mediation theory are. For some, perhaps many, it has always been an uneasy alliance.

Among the basic contributions Vygotsky made in the area of theory, of course, was his brilliant critique of behaviorism, which Jussi draws on. Vygotsky strenuously argued that psychology must study human **consciousness**, and that behaviorism must be discarded as a valid approach to psychology because it can't or won't study consciousness. This concept, so seemingly obvious to many today, was genius-level thinking in the 1920's in the USSR.

Another contribution Vygotsky made was to argue that a central goal of psychology must be to develop an authentic "general" psychology, an overall psychology which theoretically organizes and oversees all the sub-disciplines of psychology. This is a central theme of his monograph "Crisis." He advocated that this effort should make full use of dialectical materialist ontology, epistemology, and methodology (i.e., Marxism), but the goal should not be the creation of a "Marxist" psychology, but rather, a general psychology. I like to add the term "systematic." That is what I think CHAT should set its long- term sights on, btw - helping develop a general, systematic psychology. Much more than just Marxism is and will be needed to develop such a thing. I think Vygotsky's concepts on the need for a general psychology were perhaps his most important of all.

On Ilyenkov's article, I really liked it, too. It never occurred to me that Vygotsky would disagree with one word in it. Does anyone see something he might have a point of contention with? As for Vygotsky's theory of sign mediation, I have seen no evidence that he gave "priority" or "supremacy" to signs over actions, or even signs (psychological tools) over tools (physical tools). To my knowledge, to the extent he dealt with the concept of "supremacy," he maintained an unwavering materialist and dialectical understanding of the relationship of matter and mind, being and consciousness, external (out of body) and internal (within body) aspects of mind and culture, in all his writings, including Thinking and Speech. Vygotsky was not an idealist, he was a materialist - one of the finest the 20th Century produced.

The great discovery Vygotsky made in his theory of semiotic mediation is that word meaning is the basic unit of human consciousness. This is a thoroughly materialist theory and discovery, in my opinion. In no way, in my readings of Vygotsky, did he counterpose or prioritize the mediational and semiotic nature of psychological tools **over** the object-based realities of human actions. He was neither an objectivist or a subjectivist, prioritizing neither the objective aspects of consciousness over the subjective, or vice versa. He was not a **mechanical** materialist, finding linear, simplistic, gradual relations between the subject and object, and the object and the subject, in every corner. He was a **dialectical** materialist, who was extremely keen on the mutual reciprocity of the relations between objects and consciousness, and especially, between subjectivity and objectivity within individual consciousness.

Leontiev worked on the opposite side of the same coin - he became keen on ways to understand the mutual reciprocity of the relations between the subject and the object in human activities, in the external dimensions of the same process.

I see activity theory as essential companion to sign mediation theory in a number of important ways. I will mention three. For one, it provides a way of looking for and recognizing the elements necessarily involved in any particular act of human consciousness, or the same thing, any conscious human act, by pointing to the necessary existence of conditions, goals and motives in human activity. For another, it shows how individuals (subjects) when they are engaged in any conscious act are mediated by both internal and external objects (tools and signs, etc.). And still another, it shows how the thing they acting on, that is, doing things to, is the center of the process, and that this object of the activity is organically connected to the motives and goals, and conditions and operations of the activity.

All of these insights provide vital analyses of the necessary contexts and platforms of conscious human action. Just as Vygotsky pointed to essential dynamics of internal subject-object relations in human consciousness (captured by the analytical unit 'word-meaning'), Leontiev pointed to essential dynamics of external subject-object relations (captured by the analytical unit 'activity' and concepts such as actions, goals, operations, conditions, motives, and objects).

At the same time, I see nothing incompatible about the two theories. Which is not to defend every word they each said about their respective ideas. Vygotsky and/or Leontiev did say (or were translated or stenographed or whatever to supposedly say) things that were one-sided. They undoubtedly did not fully think through some their ideas. Their work was always admittedly incomplete. They were both humble and very conscious of how their ideas were "in process." Some of their passages need criticism, correction, improvement, perhaps even rejection. This is a normal aspect of theory-building.

Anna Stetsenko's criticism of Leontiev as under-appreciating of the role of subjectivism in externalizing (acting, doing, expressing) in her 2005 MCA article strikes me as especially insightful, and a very good model of how to go about this kind of criticism and collective theory-building. Jussi'sHer criticism in that same article of Ilyenkov's essay The Concept of the Ideal (1977) points to what she sees as a one-sided explication, where Ilyenkov missed out in her opinion on a similar dynamic as did Leontiev. Her insights, themselves worthy of careful critique, can only move the discussion about their ideas forward.

Anna's critique, in my mind, does not undermine the power of these theories. To the contrary, it shows ways to strengthen them, fill in gaps, make them more whole. In my opinion, all three of these theories go together very well. They necessarily reinforce each other. But there is much work to be done to combine them, sharpen them, clarify them, integrate them with each other, with philosophy, with modern psychology, with social science.

Some thoughts on the weight of activity theory within CHAT ... A very important role that I see activity theory playing today is as a kind of bridge between sociology and psychology. Today, it has a lot of weight, perhaps even more than the semiotic mediation theory side of CHAT. But I think that may be temporary. Ironically, the extent to which activity theory is successful may wind up being its 'demise', to put it a little playfully. As the more viable and dialectical trends within materialist psychology and materialist sociology begin to find common ground in coming decades - (I am suspecting there will be a generalized tendency in this direction because I think there will be a new world radicalization and a new openness for the kind of psychology Vygotsky was envisioning) - the ideas of activity theory may become more and more accepted by both "sides" (by both materialist psychology and materialist sociology). Activity theory, therefore, could lose its "bridge" or perhaps, "mediational" role.

In other words, its significance today may lie in its ability to bridge the vast schism between psychology and sociology, who not only speak different languages across this historic divide, but each side of the gap is highly fractured into dozens of irreconcilable schools of thought. This, of course, is all part of the "crisis" Vygotsky spoke of. As a viable materialist wing of social science begins to emerge and find new ways to integrate materialist psychology and sociology, create a common language, a common theoretical foundation, and eliminate the long time schism between these social sciences, activity theory may play less and less of its current "common denominator" role. It will become less and less a "theory," and become more and more just everyday technical terminology to describe "activity," which will be equally sensible in the newly unifying trends in psychology and sociology, and disappear as something "in between".

I am just speculating, of course, offering some imaginative perspective. Some theories die of obviousness and acceptance once the science around them begins to mature and becomes culturally established. This could happen to activity theory, at least within the unifying materialist camps in social science.

In contrast, the theory of sign mediation, Vygotsky's theory of the semiotic nature of human consciousness, is more likely going to be the one that will undergo significant development and transformation. It is much more far-reaching than activity theory. It covers much more poorly understood and unknown territory. It is more likely to undergo radical changes as it begins to have impact on materialist sociology, and vice versa. Vygotsky's theory of consciousness extends very deeply into social theory and is therefore going to be impacted by changes in social theory and empirical discovery.

And impacted especially by changes in neuropsychology, by far the fast changing field in the social sciences today.

Luria did brilliant work based on his vast knowledge of brain lesions, the only empirical window into the brain/mind of his day. But psychiatric medications and brain scanning today are opening up new, revolutionary windows into the mind and brain that are already challenging everything ever said about human consciousness.

If CHAT is going to become a viable voice in the creation of a new psychology, it must seek ways to apply Vygotsky's discoveries to neuropsychological theory and research, and vice versa. Vygotsky's discoveries about word-meaning as being common to both thinking and speech, and appearing at very early ages, coinciding with the fundamental initial "socialization" of the human infant (I believe Derek would disagree with that claim) - along with LSV's conceptualization of word-meaning as the essential unit or cell of human consciousness - have yet to be systematically applied to modern mind/brain research. That one of the founders of CHAT was a world- renowned founder of neuropsychology should provide great encouragement for developing this side of CHAT, daunting as it is.

Holy Cow! some might be saying here. Is Steve serious? Combine psychology, sociology AND neuropsychology into one general, systematic social science? Using CHAT as a basis?

Yes, I am dreaming big. Such an endeavor would be a scientific synthesis unlike any ever accomplished. It may take centuries. But I don't have such hopes because I personally know how to do this. I have them because I don't know why we can't figure out how.

- Steve