Re: [xmca] Vygotsky's Plural Discourse!!

Prompted like David by a discrete kick under the table by Jonna, here are my reactions to Jussi's paper.

Two big qualifications. Firstly I have no real grasp of the development of Vygotsky's thinking over the 10 year period for which his thinking is recorded. I have learnt about LSV in a piecemeal fashion over 25 years and can't really contribute to this fascinating topic. But there are others on this list who can ...

Secondly, anyone who starts their Bildungsroman with the name of Louis Althusser is bound to put me off-side.

Anyone who likes Althusser can just skip the next couple of paragaphs. Firstly, on the question of the "epistemological break" in Marx's work he was just plain wrong, as new translations pubished subsequent to Althusser's publishing his article proved.

Marx began in 1841 using the ancient Greek materialists to critique Hegel, turned to Hegel in the 1850s to work out his approach to political economy and in his final years (1882) was using Hegel to critique calculus in the hope of finding a way of using calculus in his critique of political economy. Where is the epistemological break? In Althusser's head and nowhere else.

The other thing that pisses me off with Althusser, and which is echoed by all the poststructuralists and echoed again this paper, is the claim that nothing happened in philosophy for 200 years between Descartes and Marx - the Italian Galileo? the Swiss Leibniz? the Dutch Jew Spinoza? The English Bacon, Hobbes and Locke? The Scotch Hume? the Germans Kant, Hegel, Goethe, ...? No. All that is important in philosophy is the Frenchman Descartes. Even the French atheists are ignored. Doubtless this goes down well with a French audience but can it be taken seriously outside of France? In "The Holy Family" Marx is quite explicit: he is *not* engaged in a critique of Descartes, Descartes is the antecedent of natural science and not part of the genesis of social criticism, in Marx's view.

After getting this off my chest, all I can make Jussi, is a couple of fairly minor observations.

I can't accept the relation of Vygotsky to behaviourism as described. Others can put the record straight, but the story I have heard is that in 1923 Behaviourism was made the "official psychology" of the Soviet Union, but in 1924 Vygotsky made his notoriety by stepping up to the podium and denouncing behaviourism.

Nonetheless, as I understand it, LSV retained his admiration for Pavlov throughout his life and there is an element of behaviourism in his thinking right up to the end: Vygotsky studied behaviour, but on the presumption that consciousness could be imputed behind behaviour, just as physicists study meter readings on the presumption that the existence of physical laws can be imputed to Nature.

My reading of his 1929 studies of Pavlov is him struggling as methodically as possible towards finding a starting point for psychology. From Pavlov he learns the idea of "one thing." This (as Jussi mentions) is exactly like the "one thing" of Das Kapital (the commodity) and the germ cell of Goethe, ... this is a methodological problem he is wrestling with, brilliantly, and a complete break from positivist psychology. Further, the move from S-R to S-T-R i.e., the conditioned reflex is a brilliant *appropriation* of Pavlov, as I read it.

Altogether Jussi, with all due qualifications (my ignorance of the topic) I just don't see an "epistemological break" here. I don't see a sudden discovery of "genesis, emergence, and development." What after all is a *conditioned* reflex?

And I don't accept that Vygotsky ends up with Semiotics. You make some important qualifications to this characterisation, Jussi, and I shouldn't parody your claim. But you see, I think Vygotsky has retained a lot of what he learnt from Pavlov to the end. He never abandoned it.

Finally, all CHAT writers at one point or another, to one extent or another, counterpose sign and tool. But really this should not be exaggerated. Sign and Tool are just two archetypes in a whole population of mediating elements which also include archetypes like the human body and the child (future bearer of culture), with an infinite myriad of halfway-in-between forms like passwords, keys, walking sticks, and so on. All tools act psychologically just like signs, because they are part of a culturally produced and culturally significant material culture; a key is no use in a society without locks, it is a sign of access.

I think this point is worth making, because the counterposition of tools and signs is a means of counterprosing social behaviourism to semiotics/linguistics. These are false dichotomies.

Anyway, great paper Jussi. I'm only sorry that I can't make a better contribution. I'm sure others will.

Andy
(now to read what David said ...)

Mike Cole wrote:
Go to http://www.lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Paper/index.html
and read all about it! Jussi's new paper proposed for
discussion is now posted.