Re: [xmca] Re: Kant and the Strange Situation

I've just finished proofing 400 pages of Ilyenkov Martin, which has certainly taxed my enthusiasm, but you can enlist me under the heading of those who strongly support Ilyenkov too. He is the writer who comes closest to sharing my reading of Hegel. Hardly surprising since my reading of Hegel and my reading of Ilyenkov have proceeded side by side over a long time.

It is very clear that when Russians talk about "reflection" they mean specifically both the meanings Boris Meshcheryakov mentioned, i.e., "reflecting" as in bearing the traces of the object, and "reflecting" upon things as one does in a quiet moment mulling over things, which means it also includes reflecting as in the extreme weather conditions we are experiencing in Melbourne at the moment (4 consecutive days over 40degC) "reflecting" the impact of atmospheric carbon production. It should not be taken as solely referring to mirrors, in Russian or English.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
I'd like to learn Sasha's views too. For one thing, I've been critical of
Ilyenkov (on the basis of little knowledge), a thinker who I know Sasha has
a strongly positive opinion of.

Martin