Co -/ Telepresence was Re: [xmca] Business in virtual worlds

Mike,

Like Jay I can only give references for general articles rather than anything relating specifically to education.

You may be pleased to hear I have found one paper which identifies explicitly with a CHATesque approach to understanding telepresence and cites Cole (1996) and Cole and Engestrom (1993):

"Real" Presence: How Different Ontologies Generate Different Criteria for Presence, Telepresence, and Virtual Presence
Giuseppe Mantovani / Giuseppe Riva
Applied Technology for Neuro-Psychology Lab Istituto Auxologico Italiano, 28044 Verbania, Italy, auxo.psylab@auxologico.it

See full abstract and details at: http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/105474699566459

From the abstract: "In our perspective, presence in an environment, real or
simulated, means that individuals can perceive themselves, objects, and other people not only as situated in an external space but also as immersed in a sociocultural web connecting objects, people, and their interactions. This cultural web-structured by artifacts both physical (e.g., the physical components of the computer networks) and ideal (e.g., the social norms that shape the organizational use of the computer networks)-makes possible communication and cooperation among different social actors by granting them a common reference grid. Environments, real and virtual, are not private recesses but public places for meaningful social interaction mediated by artifacts. "

Others:

Zhao, Shanyang and Elesh, David (2008) 'Copresence As 'Being With'', Information, Communication & Society, 11(4), 565 - 583

Shanyang Zhao -Toward a Taxonomy of Copresence
Presence: Teleoperators & Virtual Environments October 2003, Vol. 12, No. 5, Pages 445-455

Copresence and interaction in virtual environments: An overview of the range of issues R Schroeder - Presence 2002: Fifth International Workshop, 2002 - people.oii.ox.ac.uk

Bruce

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Lemke" <jaylemke@umich.edu> To: <mcole@weber.ucsd.edu>; "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [xmca] Business in virtual worlds

I'd be very interested to see something in mca on telepresence and virtual world communication. I think articles on this tend to go elsewhere. On xmca I'd like to hear, if and when your time allows, Mike, your experiences and reflections on the effectiveness of virtual presence media for teaching/communication.

I have a collection of articles on some aspects of these issues. As to "classics", you might look at:

Benedikt. Ed. Cyberspace: First Space. MIT Press. 1994.

M. Lombard & Ditton. The heart of it all: the concept of presence. online. 1997. updated version in press in new volume :

Lombard, M., & Jones, M. T. (in press). Defining presence. In F. Biocca, W.A. Ijsselsteijn, J. Freeman, & Lombard, M. (Editors), Immersed in Media I: Telepresence Theory, Measurement and
Technology. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.

See also F. Biocca. 2003. Towards a more robust theory and measure of social presence. Presence (journal from ACM) 12(5): 456-480.

This work is pretty good about defining the basic issues and dimensions of co-presence for communicative purposes, but not specific to issues like teaching and learning in virtual media. I think some interesting things on that are coming from the current work of Constance Steinkuehler at Wisconsin, and of course from her former mentor, Jim Gee, now at Arizona State.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
Educational Studies